• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metal rabbit runs - opinions?

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
We are looking at buying some new runs for the fosterers to use for the rabbits. At present they have wooden runs, but im thinking the metal runs may be an option. We would obviously buy the larger size.

Does anyone have this:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/runs_fencing/pens_with_racks/35638

If so, is it sturdy enough? Can the bunnies 'lift' it so to speak? and how exactly do you access it? :? I know it says it has a top opening, would this be ok to be able to get nervous buns out of? Can you actually get in the run?

Sorry for all the questions xx

I think they have their uses - Bavarian Bunny for instance uses two joined together for very good effect. But...

There have been a couple of instances recently of buns getting their heads stuck through the bars so this clearly needs watching especially with smaller buns. I used to have one and my two (large, strong-ish) dwarf lops could push it up easily and get out underneath it even if it was staked into the ground. It would be easily moveable if it was on concrete - I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think one of the buns who got stuck recently dragged the entire pen about 6ft with its head stuck.

It basically comes in two pieces: the two long sides and one end are all one piece, and then the top and fourth end are the second piece. The pieces clip into each other a bit like when you tuck the folds over a cardboard box, so it's definitely not foxproof/for unsupervised use as a good wiggle of the joints will make it collapse like a house of cards. Of course this can be got round through using cable ties/wire to make it more secure, so you could leave it with one end unsecured so that you could flap it up. You couldn't do this unless the rest of the panels were tied together though, as it would lose its 'structural integrity' if you opened a panel. Otherwise there is a reasonable sized hatch in the top but unless you're tall it's a bit of a stretch to get across into, although it is do-able.

So really it depends exactly what you're planning on using it for. They are a good sized run for the money, but there are also significant drawbacks. I personally wouldn't leave rabbits in them unsupervised.

Yeah, have one. Like Santa says I've reinforced joints with cable ties et al....also use tent pegs to secure to the ground as I found their ones flimsy. I use those little suitcase padlocks on the doors / lids too.
Intelligent buns (as opposed to laid back ones-just my lot!!:lol:), will try the doors after they've sussed where they come in and out (I've extended using homemade grills to provide avenues and give more space and adventure.)

Have never experienced any problem as Santa has such as heads getting stuck, or the buns moving it, but as I say I've used tent pegs as a suppliment to the original hooks.
As they go I don't think they're too bad, but am still relatively new to 'bunning'.
I have left them unsupervised on occasion in this for short periods of time due to our location, garden size etc....but only during the day.

I have this one, got it at a bargain price on Ebay a while ago.

I only use it under supervision for the reasons that Santa has already mentioned.

I don't have one, and I wouldn't choose one. In my opinion I think they look quite flimsey, and I'm certain they can't be fox proof. Even if they were re-inforced and pegged down I still would'nt be happy leaving a bunny unsupervised in it especially after reading a recent post of a bunny getting their head stuck in one.

I think the good old fashioned wooden ones are better or avairy panels might work out cheaper if you need a few.

Just agreeing with everyone else really (on RU? UNANIMOUS AGREEMENT, SURELY NOT?! :lol::lol::lol::lol:)

I have one and love it because its lightweight and collapsible but sturdy enough and my 3 can't lift it. it has 2 slide doors on the sides, one big hindled door at one end, a big flap in the middle and a big flap at the end.

I have covered the sides of mine in chicken wire because Phoenix was one of the 'head stuck' incidence bunnies, but haven't had a problem since. I have attached it to another to make a double length run and in an L shape by folding back one side panel.

you have to be careful over time as they start to bend if not squared up properly after you move them.

i'd say they are great for moving around and if u want to dismantle them or add access via the little doors etc, but if you want sturdy permanent runs i'd stick to wooden frames.

These runs are absolutely fantastic but please please please if you do decided to get one, mesh the inside with a very small holed strong mesh.
I was looking after SJ's bunnies and put them in the run. Pebbles spooked and ran straight into the run and got her head stuck, was screaming until I could prise her head out.
One of the most distressing experiences of my life :cry:

I agree with the meshing, this is the same run Dumpling got her head stuck in :( We have thrown ours away now and gone back to wooden runs

Thank you guys, think i will give it a miss then, as obviously im not sure the fosterers will supervise the buns in the runs and certainly don't want anything happen to any of them.

My first thought was maybe they would be able to lift them as i know bunnies are strong little things. Hmm, back to the drawing board!! My main problem is i need them to be able to fit in my car easily (Vauxhall Zafira) because of transporting them to fosterers etc. At the moment all the fosterers have sturdy 6X4 wooden runs, which yeah are decent but because they're out in all weathers they just dont last and they don't fit in my car, so everytime a fosterer leaves, or we have a new fosterer start we become stuck. We also have the issue with metal runs being easier to clean between bunnies. Back to the drawing board! Thank you for opening my eyes guys :thumb: xx

I have three of them now, and honestly, cannot fault them in any way.

They are a great size, solid and sturdy, and my dwarf lops cannot lift them nor get out of them. My garden isn't enclosed, and so far, none of the dogs that come past have even managed to move them.

My 8 week old guiea pig managed to squeeze through the bars, but once he hit 10 weeks or so, he could be left alone and not get out.

I do highly recommend them :D

Thank you guys, think i will give it a miss then, as obviously im not sure the fosterers will supervise the buns in the runs and certainly don't want anything happen to any of them.

My first thought was maybe they would be able to lift them as i know bunnies are strong little things. Hmm, back to the drawing board!! My main problem is i need them to be able to fit in my car easily (Vauxhall Zafira) because of transporting them to fosterers etc. At the moment all the fosterers have sturdy 6X4 wooden runs, which yeah are decent but because they're out in all weathers they just dont last and they don't fit in my car, so everytime a fosterer leaves, or we have a new fosterer start we become stuck. We also have the issue with metal runs being easier to clean between bunnies. Back to the drawing board! Thank you for opening my eyes guys :thumb: xx

Could you not get them meshed? I only had to do it once and its been fine since. i do think it may solve your problem in terms of logistics and cleaning.

I use two metal runs joined together for when I'm at home, so the bunnies can have a huge run to play in. I really like them, they're easy to move/store and let my lot to have an oppotunity to play more naturally in a larger area.

They are a good size and fairly sturdy, if you hold them together with cable ties. The lid is quite heavy and requires a bit of skill to put onto the run. As others have said, I would not leave them in this type of run unsupervised. And it can be tricky to catch the bunnies, when they decide they don't want to go home. :)

This Is What Happens At Ours! :D

"It's TIME" I say in a stupid voice and they know! They'll go and hide in a tunnel I've made as I peel back and prop open the whole of the lid. Yes, that's arduous but I'm content to put the effort in. I climb in with a cornering device for Manglewurzel as she's the one likely to try to run, but she doesn't as she has no room. Gerald's relativley easy to catch and succumbs to submission pose, as did the late Chewbains.
I'll take on board the mesh idea, particulary around the entrances....might try weaving willow or Hawthorne (de-thorned) as a detraction, they'll get to identify the opening better.
And the extra pegs I use have made it more solid, but I suppose ground conditions will affect stability. I'll give it a boot with my steelies tomorrow as an experiment!(It's due for a move!:lol:)
For me, day time predators are of arial origin, most notably Buzzards.

So, it's horses for courses. The original poster has specific needs ie foster issues, which imply changing surroundings for the buns who might well take fright. But I think my buns are used to a specific regime, surroundings and my :censored:stupid voice :lol:....(family joke is they wanted to be owned by kids not an eccentric old :censored: :lol::lol::lol:)

Last edited:
Back