• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I lost David Rabbit - any ideas what was wrong?

carly s

Warren Scout
I'm devastated...our beloved David Rabbit passed away on Sunday morning. It was very sudden, he was absolutely fine Saturday night and being a little monkey as usual. My hubby found him on Sunday morning huddled up on top of a box that he doesn't normally sleep on and realised straight away that something wasn't right. He brought him upstairs and we made him comfortable in a carrier in the bedroom so that we could keep an eye on him. He had NEVER been ill before so I didn't think it was anything serious (stupid me). I went out as I volunteer at the local sanctuary and hubby rang me 40 minutes later to say that David had died. He seemed a bit breathless and snuffly before I left and lifeless in his movements (although he was moving around as if he was fidgety). Hard to describe. In hindsight I should have rushed him to the vets and I will probably always blame myself for not doing just that. He was approx 5 - 6 years old. He was a lovely little man with a really special character, actually we think he thought he was a puppy rather than a rabbit the way he used to act. Don't think I will ever get over losing him especially as it was so sudden.:(:(:(:(:(

I'm really sorry for your loss of David Rabbit.

What you're describing is an incredibly ill rabbit, and many things can cause those symptoms, so we can't speculate at all. The only way to have known more would be for you to have gotten a post mortem done on him. Sadly, all you can do now is grieve for the little chap.

Binky Free David Rabbit.

I'm really sorry for your loss of David Rabbit.

What you're describing is an incredibly ill rabbit, and many things can cause those symptoms, so we can't speculate at all. The only way to have known more would be for you to have gotten a post mortem done on him. Sadly, all you can do now is grieve for the little chap.

Binky Free David Rabbit.

Thanks. We did talk about a post mortem but I couldn't bear the thought. We are certainly grieving him.

Oh no Carly, I am so very sorry to hear this - my thoughts are with you x
Please don't blame yourself.
It's hard to pinpoint from what you said of what was wrong. It sounds quite sudden which I tend to associate with stasis (as I have had buns with stasis) - although they tend to go from looking uncomfortable to laying out flat on their tums. I'm guessing he was all up-to-date with his vaccinations (as the dreaded VHD is going around & I know that can cause sudden passing)?
Sorry I can't offer more answers - as you say a PM is one thing but I like you would find it hard to have that undertaken.
Hope you are ok and that the other buns are coping with his loss - binky free at Rainbow Bridge David xx

Oh Carly Im sorry :cry: If you can bear it I would get a PM done just incase its anything that can affect your others :( if you need anything or there is anything I can do please let me know x

Oh no Carly, I am so very sorry to hear this - my thoughts are with you x
Please don't blame yourself.
It's hard to pinpoint from what you said of what was wrong. It sounds quite sudden which I tend to associate with stasis (as I have had buns with stasis) - although they tend to go from looking uncomfortable to laying out flat on their tums. I'm guessing he was all up-to-date with his vaccinations (as the dreaded VHD is going around & I know that can cause sudden passing)?
Sorry I can't offer more answers - as you say a PM is one thing but I like you would find it hard to have that undertaken.
Hope you are ok and that the other buns are coping with his loss - binky free at Rainbow Bridge David xx

Thanks sarah. I thought simply stasis hence going out. If I had thought it was this serious I would never had left him. He was up to date with his vaccinations yes. The others are fine but we are keeping an eye on daphne,daves partner. She's very small and dainty and prone to stasis and used to follow dave everywhere. X

Oh Carly Im sorry :cry: If you can bear it I would get a PM done just incase its anything that can affect your others :( if you need anything or there is anything I can do please let me know x

Thanks. You met him so you know how wonderful he was. I've been so upset. I can't face a pm,he's too perfect for that. Just got memories now but will prob always kick myself 4not taking him to the vets xx

He was a beautiful boy :love: so happy aswell :love:
Dont kick yourself you werent too know what was going to happen. Anyone who has met David and your other buns could tell you how happy they were, you're a fantastic bunny mummy:love:

He was a beautiful boy :love: so happy aswell :love:
Dont kick yourself you werent too know what was going to happen. Anyone who has met David and your other buns could tell you how happy they were, you're a fantastic bunny mummy:love:

Ah thanx. Don't make me cry again tho! Xx

Back