• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bereaved bunny

karen&poppy

Warren Scout
Hi all,

I've just had to have by gorgeous bunny Fudge put to sleep this morning as he developed head tilt over night. I have moved his partner Poppy to a different (new) hutch as the vet told me that it may be contagious through urine.

Poppy was with Fudge when he was lying unwell for a while, and then hopped off. I tried to bring her to the vets with Fudge but she kept scrambling to get away from him.

She looks like she is looking for him, and I feel dreadful! I have given her lots of cuddles and treats but was wondering if there is anything else I can do, or am I better leaving her alone?

Any help would be appreciated x

How comes you were told to PTS?

If EC (That it sounds like ) you could have treated with panacur for 28 days, bleaching the environment on days 21 and 28 of the course.

You will need to do the above treatment on his partner anyway, as she would be exposed to it through urine spores.

I would get a new vet if he/she mentioned none of the above, as well.

ETA: Has she seen his body? I always show mine their partner if the unfortunate happens, as it helps them with the grieving process.

He wasn't responding to the vet when she was applying presssure to his feet. It all just happened so suddenly, he was fine and then this morning was lay on his side. She said that the chance of survival was low and summised that it was not fair to put him through the pain...

Poppy saw him when he was lay still and kept walking away from him so I think she knew he had gone but as I said she wouldn't go near him in the carrier to come to the vet with me.

I have an appointment later today to have panacur prescribed for Poppy (they need to weigh her first)...

Poppy was checked out at the vets last night and seems fine, just got a 9 day course of panacur to give to her.

She is very quiet and I feel so sad for her that she's lost her husbunny...I was hoping for some advice as to whether I should leave her alone, spend extra time with her, basically what I can do to help her get through this tough time.

I am unsure whether it is wise to try to bond her with another rabbit so she won't be lonely, and if so how long to leave it?

Just want to do whats best for her x

Definately spend extra time with her. No-one really knows how long to leave it, some people say get a new friend straight away, some say leave it a while :?

When Sue lost Peggy recently I was unsure how soon to bond her. I ended up doing it sooner than I would have liked as Sue was clearly lonely and unhappy. She lost interest in her food and bit me once (completely out of character) and stayed in the sleeping part of her hutch most of the time.

I bonded her with three of my other buns as I couldn't afford to take on a new bun. The difference in her was amazing. As soon as she was in a pen with three other buns she started eating and hopping around and taking an interest in life again. Now, she grooms them and is always first at the 'trough'.

I still haven't been able to face collecting Peggy's ashes and it was too soon for me really to do the bonding, but Sue needed to be bonded quickly or I think she would have gone into full blown stasis.

I would see how Poppy is and take it from there. You know your bun best.

Back