• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Rash. Please help!

kiwilime

New Kit
Hi

I was just playing with my rabbit and noticed something horrible! Under her chin, right on her throat is a round, raw looking sore. I have never noticed this before as shes is quite fluffy and has never liked people touching her breast anyway but it is nasty and dry looking so it cant be fresh. I have done some reading around and it looks like it could be mites or dermatitis. Its far too late to take her to the vet right now but im terrified as I am a student with basically no money and no support network, I have heard horror stories about vet bills and have no idea what to do. I am being forced to move house very soon to somewhere my bunny cannot follow and was looking to rehouse her but I cant let her go with this sore. I am totally at a loss for what to do.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

x

It's difficult to say what it is without seeing it as lots of things can cause skin problems. Mites often show as dandruff and sometimes red patches where a bun has scratched.

Mites is very easy and cheap to treat. You can pick up spot on treatment (drops that go on the back of the neck) over the counter for £5-10. Make sure it's designed for rabbits so the dose isn't too high. There are various brands but the active ingredient in them all is ivermectin.

The trouble is it might not be mites, it could be an injury, infections or sometimes under the chin wounds are related to dribbling from teeth issues. It's difficult to without seeing to say how worried you should be. Getting a vet to check it might be the best options. They'll give you a price if you phone up and ask, a consultation is usually around £25 but it does vary up and down depending on your vet.

Back