• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the secret to syring meds?

Jenson

Mama Doe
Hi
Now Jenson is home he has Metoclopramide which I managed to get most of it in to him by soaking a crunchie and a couple of pellets in it. But the Fibreplex he's having none of.
I tried to hold him but no hope, and I don't want to stress him any more than I need to.

Any tricks?

My next plan to hope he eats the pellets with some of the fibreplex on and to try with Basil leaves as that was how he took panacur a while ago. I really thought I would be able to do it, so I'm quite disappointed.

Don't. :lol:

Very rarely do I have to syringe meds (and even rarer food). The majority of the meds I give are given on basil leaves or in food they like.

i found taking it at their pace works well. so talking to them and show them the syringe so they smell it first. then put a tiny amount in their mouth, let them be mad for a min or two.. comfort them, offer some treat. then wait until they seem calmer and know what's coming and give some more.

i found this way works better. i let them 'tell' me when it's ok to give more, rather then what i used to do which was panic, and shove loads in as quick as possible.

usually the treats will be rejected but they can't resist eventually!

another thing was because they don't like it all round their mouth and on their whiskers, i let them shudder and clean themselves when they wanted to before i continued.

it does take longer but it makes it less stressful and easier next time because they know what's coming.

i found training them to go into a small litter tray to be picked up is much better. if i picked them up straight from the floor i'd have no chance! and they got the hang of that really quickly aswell.

worked for us anyway. :wave:

Pipkin is pretty good with syringing meds. I feel very lucky! :lol:
I hold him on my lap and wait until he's relaxed then sort of lift up his head and front legs and cradle him against my chest so he can't wriggle too much. Then just go slow like biscandmatt says. Give a little bit at a time so he can lick up any from around his chops.

I understand it can be an impossible task with some bunnies though!

Thank you.

I'll go out first thing to get basil leaves :) so I'll try that for the Fibreplex and stick with Metoclopramide soaked crunchie and pellets!

I tried holding it for him to come to first, he sniffed and legged it in the other direction. I tried this several times, no joy. He then wouldn't even let me stroke him till I put it down out of the way!

(I think he's tired as he's all flopped out on the towel I put in tonight and looks shattered but he's had a tough 24 hours).

Even the vets said they have difficulty with fibreplex which made me feel a bit better after more of it went up the kitchen wall than in his mouth :oops: I have to syring rather than give on food as otherwise theres a danger of the otherbun nabbing it as they do steal food from each others mouths :lol:, i put a big bath towel on the floor, pop the bun on, wrap them up in it while sort of straddling them with my ankles crossed so they can't back out then pop the syring in while giving a noserub then immediately follow up with a crunchie or some herbs as a reward.

I'm not saying it always goes smoothly and i have got a few more scratches on my arms to add to the collection from last year but on the whole most of the medicine has gone where it was supposed to. If a real struggle breaks out and he gets stressed i just squirt it on his face or paws as they can't abide being sticjy and lick it straight off.

I think fibreplex is paeticularly tricky as it's so stiff in that applicator you press the plunger and nothing happens then the next minute, whoosh the whole lot comes out at once :roll::lol:

Even the vets said they have difficulty with fibreplex which made me feel a bit better after more of it went up the kitchen wall than in his mouth :oops: I have to syring rather than give on food as otherwise theres a danger of the otherbun nabbing it as they do steal food from each others mouths :lol:, i put a big bath towel on the floor, pop the bun on, wrap them up in it while sort of straddling them with my ankles crossed so they can't back out then pop the syring in while giving a noserub then immediately follow up with a crunchie or some herbs as a reward.

I'm not saying it always goes smoothly and i have got a few more scratches on my arms to add to the collection from last year but on the whole most of the medicine has gone where it was supposed to. If a real struggle breaks out and he gets stressed i just squirt it on his face or paws as they can't abide being sticjy and lick it straight off.

I think fibreplex is paeticularly tricky as it's so stiff in that applicator you press the plunger and nothing happens then the next minute, whoosh the whole lot comes out at once :roll::lol:

This made me smile, I can't stand sticky either so I completely understand!

I haven't got the heart to pin him down to take it, I already tried and he was just getting too stressed and it's been a tough 24 hours without my making it worse. Poor little bun, he's just been flopped out for ages looking shattered.

I stuck pellets together with it and he ate most, and I think he's just eaten what he left, yep. So at least he's had some of both now!

Spenser wasn't at all impressed by fibreplex last week. He is fond of strawberry leaves, so I made him a 'sandwich' with the goo sticking two leaves together. He nibbled round the edges. :roll: Eventually he went back to the leaves (or I haven't found them). Maybe basil will do the trick for you and Jenson. :wave:

I tend to mash some banana then smear it on the end. I give them the meds while they are licking it off. I give them it a couple of times before and after so they don't know which one will be the medicine. I can now give meeds without having to pick my buns up and they come running when they see the syringe! :lol:

Most of my rabbits will tolerate it by just holding them tightly against me while slowly putting a bit in, letting them swallow it, giving them a cuddle and going again. However, I have had 2 of them need fibreplex and I cannot for the life of me get them to take it!!! I ended up with it covering me as they spat it out!! :roll: I think basil sounds like a good method

Mine don't mind the taste of fibreplex but will not tolerate any kind of syringe feeding. What i normally do is mash up some pellets with a little water and mix in the meds. Maybe add abit of grated carrot and they eat it off the plate! having said all that I've gota give daisy her baytril this morning fingers crossed!

Stop worrying too much and be firm. Hold bun in place and don't allow them to thrash about, as that's when you and they both get stressed.

I obviously don't know how you are when attempting to give the meds, but I've seen a lot of people who, for want of a better word pussyfoot around :)

It just prolongs the agony for everyone.

I syringe Brian's meds every day, he is used to it now. I kneel on the floor, put him in between my knees and gently but firmly use my legs to keep him in place. With one hand, I lift up the side of the lip, then with my other free hand I squirt in the syringe. Easy!

Molly, on the other hand, enjoys syringe feeds, and she will take it when offered.

My vet got on the floor with a towel and wrapped the bunny in the towel and then put between her legs. Lean over and syringe.

Back home , I tried it and TJ went beserk (hes my most independent bunny) and was very distressed. I gave up and cut up small chunks of fruit and put one drop of med on each. Hes been taking the Baytril that way thankfully

I'm sure I'm guilty of pussyfooting around, but even when I'm firm he's a handful. They described him as "flighty" at the vets, I usually describe him as skittish.

All I can say is thank godness for Basil.
I made a Fibleplex sandwich with basil leaves, gone, not even any hesitation! :D
Thank you

Unfortunatley Mine wont be tempted with ANY foods containing medicine.. so I usually get o/h to hold on to bunny and I syringe the medicine!
I dont pussyfoot around either as I find if youre just firm and get it over with the stress is minimal.. and Im happy knowing all the meds have gone in

Unfortunatley Mine wont be tempted with ANY foods containing medicine.. so I usually get o/h to hold on to bunny and I syringe the medicine!
I dont pussyfoot around either as I find if youre just firm and get it over with the stress is minimal.. and Im happy knowing all the meds have gone in

Yep, that's my method as well.

Back