• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Am I worrying for no reason???

Helf_for_ant

Young Bun
Hi all

I had my baby boy neutered yesterday he also had his front teeth sorted out as they were growing at a sloped angle and his tear duct flushed all in one go bless him previous to this about 6 months he had his back teeth removed on one side as he had an abscess that was pretty nasty and took 6 wks to heal which included treating it as an open wound.

However after me picking him up yesterday he was very sleepy and down looking wasn't interested in any food other than herbs but he was drinking, today hes very much the same and looking very sorry for himself still not eating well only wanting to pick at carrot tops kale mint and a few other herbs. I phoned the vet as i was worried due to the fact I've not been given any pain relief for him or any medication other than recovery food I was told the anaesthetic probably hadn't warn off and he didn't need pain relief as he was given a jab of metacam yesterday. Yet hes still very sad looking and not really interested in doing anything :(

Is this correct or should I have been given pain relief seeing as everything he went through

Any advice would be great

Thanks guys

i think after having all that done he would need pain relief for at least a few days.

he will be tired and may take 24 hours to start to recover. it's a good sign he is eating and drinking.

keep offering his favourite foods and hay as you are already and i personally would phone the vet and say you want more pain relief for him for at least a few days.

i hope he feels better soon. x

The Metacam will only give analgesic cover for a maximum of 24 hours so I am surprised you were not given any more to administer.

Is your Rabbit pooing and weeing OK ?

The Metacam will only give analgesic cover for a maximum of 24 hours so I am surprised you were not given any more to administer.

Is your Rabbit pooing and weeing OK ?

Weeing fine pretty normal pooing on the other hand is pretty slow which I put down to the fact he hasn't been eating much. When I phoned earlier I asked if I could have more pain killer for him but was told he wouldn't need it but I also thought due to every thing he has had done he would be in more pain than just a normal neuter

The last op he had to remove the abscess he was slow to start eating but that was a massive op for him so I thought this time round he may be better

:wave:
Try not to worry..
I would however "insist" on pain relief for at least a couple of days..
I really cant understand vets that dont give it after an op of any kind.
Hope he improves soon

I agree with littleboots, it's a good sign that he is eating, with a little bit more pain relief for the next couple of days he stands a better chance of getting back to full eating capacity I think, I wonder if it's a financial thing hoping you'll take him back for another injection ?? Fingers crossed for him x

I agree with littleboots, it's a good sign that he is eating, with a little bit more pain relief for the next couple of days he stands a better chance of getting back to full eating capacity I think, I wonder if it's a financial thing hoping you'll take him back for another injection ?? Fingers crossed for him x

I'm not sure Vicki but I was shocked as I was expecting him to be given pain relief I'm going to play it safe and call and ask for some to be put aside for me to collect 2morro

Back