• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spurs on teeth !

rexy&coco

Warren Scout
hi ,
rexy is having to have dentals every 4-5 months, he keeps getting spurs on his back teeth which is costing me around £55 each time.
repeated sedations cant be doing him any favours, would he cope without the offending side teeth?
i am seriously considering asking the vet to remove them .
any advice would be appreciated :D
thanks claire x

You can't remove those unfortunately- only incissors- mine get them done every 8 weeks - sometimes 4. so 5 months is good for spurs :)

You can't remove those unfortunately- only incissors- mine get them done every 8 weeks - sometimes 4. so 5 months is good for spurs :)

You can remove molars but it's not going to be recommended I wouldn't have thought because it has very serious risks of jaw damage and much more. Most vets wouldn't even entertain doing it unless it's a last resort.

How is your vet taking the spurs off? If the teeth are burred down to just above the gumline, this can increase the time between dentals significantly - although every 4-5 months is reasonable going in any case for a dental bun.

My understanding is that you can't really take back teeth out unless they are already loose and broken, as the roots are really long so you'd stand more chance of shattering the jawbone than successfully removing the teeth - and you'd have to remove the opposite teeth too otherwise you'd still need dentals because they won't have teeth to wear onto.

I think the best you can do is to ensure that your buns eat lots of hay and grass, and ask your vet to make sure they burr and reshape the teeth low rather than just taking off any sharp points (they might already be doing this of course, but £55 sounds a bit cheap to be taking the time to do that I'd have thought). These two things combined should help to increase the timing between necessary dentals :)

hi ,
rexy is having to have dentals every 4-5 months, he keeps getting spurs on his back teeth which is costing me around £55 each time.
repeated sedations cant be doing him any favours, would he cope without the offending side teeth?
i am seriously considering asking the vet to remove them .
any advice would be appreciated :D
thanks claire x

Hi Claire, as Gray has already asked, what does Rexy currently eat to keep his dental health good?

Have you attempted any dietary adjustments and pain relief to offset his spur problems? What has the vet recommended each time you've had a dental?

Is this a serious ongoing issue that has been looked into thoroughly i.e. Xrays to see roots/why the spurs keep occurring?

How is your vet taking the spurs off? If the teeth are burred down to just above the gumline, this can increase the time between dentals significantly - although every 4-5 months is reasonable going in any case for a dental bun.

My understanding is that you can't really take back teeth out unless they are already loose and broken, as the roots are really long so you'd stand more chance of shattering the jawbone than successfully removing the teeth - and you'd have to remove the opposite teeth too otherwise you'd still need dentals because they won't have teeth to wear onto.

I think the best you can do is to ensure that your buns eat lots of hay and grass, and ask your vet to make sure they burr and reshape the teeth low rather than just taking off any sharp points (they might already be doing this of course, but £55 sounds a bit cheap to be taking the time to do that I'd have thought). These two things combined should help to increase the timing between necessary dentals :)

As always Alison has said what I was trying to say only better! :oops:

you can't have back molar teeth removed without causing problems to the jaw as far as I know, the front incissor teeth can be removed :)

My rabbit Nutmeg has has his molar spurs done every 4-5 weeks for the last 2 years. I wish it was every 5-6 months! He is fine and happy in between, takes a day to recover and is usually eating the same night. I usually pay the same as you, but the alternative is to put him to sleep. He has also had a tooth out. If i felt he didnt have a good quality of life i wouldnt put him through it, but he loves his run, his tunnels and digs away when he is out. He is a gentle wee soul and not stressed by the vets as he is used to it now. He doesnt like it, but he copes very well. Everyone knows him at the vets and they take very good care of him.
If your wee bun has to get the spurs done, then dont worry too much as its necessary and your doing the best for him, i dont think taking molar teeth out is an option but the other folk are right that diet may help,but he may just have malaligned teeth in which case no diet will help him. Dental bunnies are expensive but i wouldnt swap Nutmeg for the world, even if he does makes a massive dent in my bank balance! ;) Lots of luck and i hope your wee bun stays healthy and happy.

Back