• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Routine worming in bunnies.....

Fairy13

Wise Old Thumper
Do you routinely worm yours?
How often?
I am a bit confused about the general recommendations for it.
Is it advised to worm regularly?
I remember reading a long while ago now that some people were unsure whther to worm as a preventative rather than just using it as a treatment.
And panacur and lapizole, is there a difference in effectiveness between the two?
I have just started a routine worming of my buns today, 5 days on lapizole, vets advice cos they had threadworms a few months ago so vet advised to do them again few months later, prior to that I think really I only did them about once a year :oops: (please dont flame me if thats really bad :oops::oops::oops::oops:)
I was just wondering what everyone else did? Thanks :wave:

There are a lot of differing opinions on this. Having spoken to a few knowledgeable people on here and also a vet I dont routinely worm mine anymore

maybe have a read of this thread 'Do you worm your rabbits'

Interesting thank you, only just glanced at the poll results, will read through the rest, but 3/4 months is what my vet advised with lapizole. Interesting that those who worm that regularly are the minority.
Sky, reading that thread, you say that you only worm if you see evidence of threadworm/pinworm? I think that is one of my concerns, when some of mine had threadworm (not all of them did) I couldnt see any evidence of them with my eyes> Is that usual? We only knew cos a pair of mine were off their food with no apparent cause and then vets did a test (floatation thing with water?) in their poo and then found the worms, yet I couldnt see them with my own eyes in poo or anything?
Also you mentioned you thought Summer may have had tapeworm, how did you know?
Thanks, I think since I had some of them confirmed as having them it seemed so icky I'm a bit paranoid about it? :?

I gave all mine a once off 28 day course to protect against EC but would only re-treat if there were symptoms. Again I'd only run a 9 day course if I was concerned about actual worms.

Interesting thank you, only just glanced at the poll results, will read through the rest, but 3/4 months is what my vet advised with lapizole. Interesting that those who worm that regularly are the minority.
Sky, reading that thread, you say that you only worm if you see evidence of threadworm/pinworm? I think that is one of my concerns, when some of mine had threadworm (not all of them did) I couldnt see any evidence of them with my eyes> Is that usual? We only knew cos a pair of mine were off their food with no apparent cause and then vets did a test (floatation thing with water?) in their poo and then found the worms, yet I couldnt see them with my own eyes in poo or anything?
Also you mentioned you thought Summer may have had tapeworm, how did you know?
Thanks, I think since I had some of them confirmed as having them it seemed so icky I'm a bit paranoid about it? :?

I think that you did see 'evidence' of them in the fact they weren't eating, even though there was not evidence visible in the poo.

With mine we have primarily had pinworm, and they are very obvious, and having seen them many times, I just give a cursory glance at their poo everyday.

With tape worm, we weren't 100% sure, but did see what could have been tapeworm segments stuck to the poo. We had a thread discussing those recently (maybe a month ago or so? maybe more though, time flies and all) and it may not have been, my vet was going by my description.

I think that you did see 'evidence' of them in the fact they weren't eating, even though there was not evidence visible in the poo.

With mine we have primarily had pinworm, and they are very obvious, and having seen them many times, I just give a cursory glance at their poo everyday.

With tape worm, we weren't 100% sure, but did see what could have been tapeworm segments stuck to the poo. We had a thread discussing those recently (maybe a month ago or so? maybe more though, time flies and all) and it may not have been, my vet was going by my description.

oh of course evidence as in them not eating, just that I had read that you can see them in the poo, and my vet and I both looked at their poo, nothing visible to naked eye but when they did this test thing, lots of threadworm (pinworm/threadworm same thing right?) that's what's made me worry about ti I think as I always poo inspect everyday but had not seen anything with my naked eye.

I guess I will carry on with this worming for 5 days now I've started, and check with my vet about it from them on. Thanks.

oh of course evidence as in them not eating, just that I had read that you can see them in the poo, and my vet and I both looked at their poo, nothing visible to naked eye but when they did this test thing, lots of threadworm (pinworm/threadworm same thing right?) that's what's made me worry about ti I think as I always poo inspect everyday but had not seen anything with my naked eye.

I guess I will carry on with this worming for 5 days now I've started, and check with my vet about it from them on. Thanks.

I'm unsure, but I don't think pinworms and threadworms are the same. Mine had pinworms and they were clearly visible. The pinworms are about 10mm long.

I would wonder if yours were caught earlier in the cycle? some worms don't expel and therefore do complete their lifecycle in the cecum. This is obviously dangerous for the rabbit and I wonder if an earlier part of the lifecycle was being expelled in the poo, which the faecal float test was able to identify.

Recently my vet felt my fosters tummies and said they felt 'doughy' and not right, but two days later lo and behold, pinworms everywhere. So the signs must be there before they are visible in the poo.

You won't lose anything by continuing this round :)

Back