• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cookie not well!

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Ok so the stress of the visit yesterday has clearly upset Cookie.
She has not seemed right the past couple of hours but I just put it down to her feeling tired and left her to it until I tried her on a fenugreek- she would not take it, she has also now refused pellets, pro fibre and veg.
I ahve called the vets and the nurse has said in a condesending tone 'hmm well if she had breakfast this morning then I think you are worrying too early'
That was at 9am and since then she has barely eaten anything and is now refusing food, how is that worrying too early?
She is also tummy pressing so I know she is not well. We have a metaclop jab here as a precaution, so we have asked her to ask the vet if we can give it to her.
But if the vet wants to see her I really do not know how to work it as touch all the wood in the world Jimby is doing really well so I do not want to stress him out by taking him in too but I do not want to only take Cookie in as she will be stressed that he is not with her, Jimby will be stressed that Cookie is not at home and then when she comes home she will smell different and the last thing we need now is a broken bond!
When I said to the nurse about not wanting to take Jimby in as it would be too stressful she chuckled and said 'no you would only bring Cookie in as she is the one who is not well'
They are refusing to do another home visit as they are busy.

What should we do?

It was Jims who had the jab yesterday all Cookie had done was a general check and claw trim.
She had breakfast at around 9am but has been sleepy all afternoon. I called the vets about an hour ago and our vet was in surgery at the time.
I dont think its a good idea to take Jimby in too as it would definatly stress him out and then could well make him ill too based on past experience. Thats why we want to home treat het to avoid stress.

It was Jims who had the jab yesterday all Cookie had done was a general check and claw trim.
She had breakfast at around 9am but has been sleepy all afternoon. I called the vets about an hour ago and our vet was in surgery at the time.
I dont think its a good idea to take Jimby in too as it would definatly stress him out and then could well make him ill too based on past experience. Thats why we want to home treat het to avoid stress.

Well they do like a snooze in the afternoon. Bobby was a real grump when she had her claws done as well, and did not want me near her :cry:

Have you got any Parsley?/ that always seems to get mine eating

Hubby is going to go shopping when we know what we are doing.
We have tried her on basil, mint, dill and kale and some dried brocolli but shes not having any of it. :(
Would Jimby likely disown her if she came back smelling like the vets?

Hubby is going to go shopping when we know what we are doing.
We have tried her on basil, mint, dill and kale and some dried brocolli but shes not having any of it. :(
Would Jimby likely disown her if she came back smelling like the vets?

If I am totally honest, i have never taken mine seperatley so I don't know babe :oops:

I have heard it's always better to take both.

Hope someone can aswer your question though Rach.

just a little tip (please don't take this the wrong way)..

When I am watching and fretting over my bunnies they won't eat, but as soon as I go away to wash up or something they are stuffing their faces.
so sometimes it's best to give them a tiny bit of space.

i am sure I have heard Jane mention using mirrors to "Watch" the buns

I seperate Bluebell and Willow for vet visits all the time. She absolutely hates the car and it would be so unfair to stress her out, especially how often we are at the vets at the mo. They always go back together fine. They are a long term pair who have been bonded for years with no problems though. New bonds I would try to keep together. I don't think there is a right answer in you case, you just have to take a chance on whichever you think is the less of two evils.

I can only say what I've done recently with my pair & I took ness on her own didn't let them keep her overnight because I knew I could sit with her all night whereas they cant & when I realised how poorly she was from the vetergesic I kept her in overnight & reintroduced in a neutral run the next day& cleaned the shed out for them both to go back in & they were fine best if luck for you that with some painrelief & metaclop / subcuts she'll perk up x

Last edited:
Hi Hun,. Sorry Cookie is not well. You know your buns best so do what you think. If you think she is just not right - then you are probably right.
I wouldnt leave it too long - as she not had anything since 9am??
Have you tried banana, dandelions also do the trick if you can find any. Shelly is right try not to act stressed - leave her a buffet and she may well just tuck in.
As far as taking them both to the vets Ive done both, but when I have just taken one it hasnt broken the bond. recently Charlie was ill so I bought him in and he stayed in for a whole night and they all went back fine together the day after - but who knows how they will react! Maybe when you pick her up take a blanket for her to travel home with that will smell of them both, give her a gentle rub down with it and put her and the blanket back in with Jims - everything should be just fine. I usually put food in as well as soon as I put them back together so there is a that first inital distraction.
Good Luck xx

Hi Hun,. Sorry Cookie is not well. You know your buns best so do what you think. If you think she is just not right - then you are probably right.
I wouldnt leave it too long - as she not had anything since 9am??
Have you tried banana, dandelions also do the trick if you can find any. Shelly is right try not to act stressed - leave her a buffet and she may well just tuck in.
As far as taking them both to the vets Ive done both, but when I have just taken one it hasnt broken the bond. recently Charlie was ill so I bought him in and he stayed in for a whole night and they all went back fine together the day after - but who knows how they will react! Maybe when you pick her up take a blanket for her to travel home with that will smell of them both, give her a gentle rub down with it and put her and the blanket back in with Jims - everything should be just fine. I usually put food in as well as soon as I put them back together so there is a that first inital distraction.
Good Luck xx

Oh I didn't realise she hadn't eaten since 9am, yes take her along, if you think Jimbs may not like the journey then don't take him.

The worst that can happen is that you may need to try and rebond slightly,

All hopefully sorted for this evening now.
We had the all ok from the vet to home treat, we have given her:

0.3ml Metaclop
0.5ml Ketofen
2 Graduations FibrePlex
Around 7ml Critical care
Around 6ml Cooled Peppermint tea

So hopefully she will perk up over the course of the evening now.
I have called the vets and let them know and also asked if it would be ok for my hubby to go in in the morning to collect a replacement metaclop and ketofen in the case of an emergency for Jims and also if we need any more for Cookie will pick up then too, she said she will check with the vet but should not be a problem.

Cookie is not a happy bunny at the moment bless her, she is very grumpy with her Mummy :(
Daddy has popped to Tesco to get supplies.

She has perked up a lot!! :D
Eaten her dinner all be it late but still she has eaten it!
She is having a rest now bless her.

She has perked up a lot!! :D
Eaten her dinner all be it late but still she has eaten it!
She is having a rest now bless her.

Yay thats brilliant news I'm so pleased she's turned the corner and is on the right road now, a good long rest will work wonders :love:

Now I am just so worried that Jims is going to get ill! :cry:
This is what happened last time, Jims had his jab, the day after Cookie had a wobble then the next day Jimby did and it lasted 6 days!! :cry:

Now I am just so worried that Jims is going to get ill! :cry:
This is what happened last time, Jims had his jab, the day after Cookie had a wobble then the next day Jimby did and it lasted 6 days!! :cry:

:no: they are incredibly sensitive and will pick up the vibes so just try as hard as it is to be positive and 'normal' and upbeat if you have some dill feed a few strands wet every few hours or some parsley whatever her favourite is really, no doubt he will try and snatch it if you don't feed him at the same time, that will put your mind at rest! ;)

Back