• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what does spinach do if u feed a rabbit too much

shadow05

Mama Doe
right yesterday i went out and bought some veg for scooter. i bought brocilli, brussel sprouts, some flat leafed parsley, corriander and i booght some spinach.

my problem is a bought a big bad of it and only just found out it can only be given occastional. so i wanted to know how much is too much and wat would happen if too much was given?

I'm no expert but I think this is it....
The reason it is best to only feed occasionally is that it is high in calcium. Short term, the bunny may have no obvious problems or have misty/milky colour urine. Long term or too much calcium causes kidney stones.

I dont know how often or how much you can feed, I tend to only give 2/3 baby spinach leaves every 2 weeks or so, but I like to play it safe as he had milky wee when I first got him and fed lots of broccoli every day ( eta - which I now know not to do :oops:)

I believe its another of the calcium high foods. B&G are currently having about 6 or 7 leaves per day with some herbs and some cauliflower and brocolli (a small floret of each, each)

:wave:

I'm no expert but I think this is it....
The reason it is best to only feed occasionally is that it is high in calcium. Short term, the bunny may have no obvious problems or have misty/milky colour urine. Long term or too much calcium causes kidney stones.

I dont know how often or how much you can feed, I tend to only give 2/3 baby spinach leaves every 2 weeks or so, but I like to play it safe as he had milky wee when I first got him and fed lots of broccoli every day ( eta - which I now know not to do :oops:)

See thats what thought, but isnt spinach high in iron???
And yes, a diet in high calcium results in misty coloured pee.

Edit- Just read that its high in iron and calcium.... so im guessing not too much

See thats what thought, but isnt spinach high in iron???
And yes, a diet in high calcium results in misty coloured pee.

and bladder stones/sludge :wave:

Just because its high in iron, doesn't mean its required :wave:

A bunny can live on nothing but hay, if you get it right :)

well i gave scooter quite a lot like a handful id say this is his first time and i dont think ill be getting it again anyways. so would he be alright as long as i didnt give him any more for a long time.

If I give mine too much cabbage (probably Spinach would do this too!), I get runny runny bums:roll:. But they love it!:lol:

well i gave scooter quite a lot like a handful id say this is his first time and i dont think ill be getting it again anyways. so would he be alright as long as i didnt give him any more for a long time.

yeah he'll be fine, as youve only fed it once. I would watch out with feeding new foods in large quantities though, best to feed a little and see how they poop.

You can feed high calcium foods, just not in large quantities or every day.

eta- if you dont want to give him any more its lovely just wilted in with pasta mixed with philadelpia and cherry tomatoes, maybe a bit of pesto. NOM!

Spinach also has a fair bit of oxalic acid, which actually inhibits the uptake of iron. And it also inhibits the uptake of calcium. It can be the cause of kidney stones.

yeah he'll be fine, as youve only fed it once. I would watch out with feeding new foods in large quantities though, best to feed a little and see how they poop.

You can feed high calcium foods, just not in large quantities or every day.

eta- if you dont want to give him any more its lovely just wilted in with pasta mixed with philadelpia and cherry tomatoes, maybe a bit of pesto. NOM!

lol im just gonna give the rest of it to my collage it will really help with there animals too. i know they feed it to breaded dragons and tortioses as well and there are loads of bunnys there they have alsorts of breeds. i got told of last week cause i was suppose to be cleaning a cage out and instead i decided to cuddle a nice bunny whos my favourite.

hes my favorite because i named my first hamster after him and he is really nice, friendly and cuddley and about 2 years ago he got attacked by a nasty female i felt really sorry for him and only i noticed at the time. so i took himaway from her and treated his wounds but he also had to go to vets. sadly the female had to be put down not long after due to serveral reasons :(

Back