• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anaemic Bunny...

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
...does anyone have one?

If so, what treatments (if any) are they receiving and any special diets?

ETA: non-regenerative

What is the primary cause of the anaemia ?

Currently unknown, could be any kind of organ issue (liver/kidneys has been mentioned), possibly genetic.

Not seeing the vet to discuss blood results til wednesday, but wondered out of interest what RU'ers thought, was secretly hoping you'd reply Jane :)

Currently unknown, could be any kind of organ issue (liver/kidneys has been mentioned), possibly genetic.

Not seeing the vet to discuss blood results til wednesday, but wondered out of interest what RU'ers thought, was secretly hoping you'd reply Jane :)

I think treatment would need to be based on establishing a primary cause first. I assume blood biochemistry has been run too to assess kidney/liver function ?

Is there a chronic bacterial disease process going on ?

Any Dental problems ?

I think treatment would need to be based on establishing a primary cause first. I assume blood biochemistry has been run too to assess kidney/liver function ?

Is there a chronic bacterial disease process going on ?

Any Dental problems ?

I believe so re the bloods, i'll find out more on Wednesday.

She does have dental problems, only found last week during exploratory GA and just had first dental during said GA. The back of her mouth does not close properly, so the rear molars are not worn down at all, even though she is a hay monster. This was not affecting her AT ALL.

She's 'not bunny' as far as her internal back end is concerned and is missing apparently the majority of the mass which surrounds the organs as a protective area?

Siblings have history of genetic dental/skeletal issues.

Well non regenerative anaemia is a feature of Dental disease, but it sounds as though there are more complex issues too. I would assume that aswell as treating any active disease process trying to establish optimum nutrition would be helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Jane :)

I'll find out more on Wednesday and report back, hoping it wont be a bad meeting.

Well non regenerative anaemia is a feature of Dental disease, but it sounds as though there are more complex issues too. I would assume that aswell as treating any active disease process trying to establish optimum nutrition would be helpful.

Jane, are there any links on this? Or could you explain anymore?

Is her respitory infection not the cause of the anemia?

i really should of held out on starting this thread, until i got back wednesday, eh? :oops:

I'm genuinely unsure right now, just it was mentioned when i called up about the results.

Got so much to talk about!

Jane, such a diamond. I was searching around for hours last night, but found pretty much zip.

Ginger has pasteurella, and the 2nd link states that can cause mild anaemia, so that would make sense.

Theres lots of other stuff going on with her right now, so it could all be related one way or another.

Back