• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm on a budget (another hutch dilemma)

lexxiesmith

Young Bun
Okay, so, my buns are being kept seperately currently.
Hopefully bonding will go well and I will be able to house them together outdoors.

Now, I have been looking at new hutches for what seems like FOREVER and I am so confused about what quality I am getting for my cash.

Pets at Home hutches being the baine of my life as they LOOK okay until you see them in person and it's all plywood, mesh, bolts that wouldn't keep a snail secure and badly put-together framework (would set a bonfire off nicely though, none the less) :lol:

So I'm wondering, what would you guys suggest on a budget of £150-200?
And where do you guys get most of your hutches/set-ups from?

Links would be good and obviously the bigger the better/good quality.

How about a 6 x 4 or even 6 x 6 shed? :wave:

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Sheds/BillyOh-300S-Economy-Tongue-and-Groove-Apex-Shed

ETA: it needs a floor which they supply for an extra £25 xx

Ooooh, hmmm... You know, I have toyed with the idea of a shed before...
I have a few worries about sheds (I am by no means knocking the people who have them, just I am unsure of how you overcome some of the issues :) )

Firstly, I rent the property I am in and I am unsure as to whether the land lord would allow me to have a shed, I would need to check.

So... With a shed, you have a 6x4 floor space, buuuut, that's pretty much it, although sheds look big, surely the height of them is wasted on a rabbit and it's the floor space they are most interested in?

Also, how do you ensure buns are getting enough fresh-air? Unless the shed has a barn style door??

And what about the worries of rats getting in? Has anyone found this is more rife in sheds as opposed to in hutches? Or am I just a worry wart? :lol:

Ooooh, hmmm... You know, I have toyed with the idea of a shed before...
I have a few worries about sheds (I am by no means knocking the people who have them, just I am unsure of how you overcome some of the issues :) )

Firstly, I rent the property I am in and I am unsure as to whether the land lord would allow me to have a shed, I would need to check.

So... With a shed, you have a 6x4 floor space, buuuut, that's pretty much it, although sheds look big, surely the height of them is wasted on a rabbit and it's the floor space they are most interested in?

Also, how do you ensure buns are getting enough fresh-air? Unless the shed has a barn style door??

And what about the worries of rats getting in? Has anyone found this is more rife in sheds as opposed to in hutches? Or am I just a worry wart? :lol:

Can't help with the landlord :)

You can add shelves, ramps steps easily to sheds and playhouses- just remember to put an edge on to avoid accidents. It's easy to add a run too, accessed via a catflap or tunnel. Remember to include something for you to sit on.

Instead of using the supplied windows make a square wooden frame to fit and add mesh for ventilation. You can keep the perspex windows for winter. You could make an inner mesh door in a similar way, or chop the supplied door in half to make a stable door.

To keep rats out make sure there are no holes larger than 1 inch. Lining the bottom of the shed with mesh and plywood over the top will help stop them chewing in, and bunnies chewing out! Also make sure there is never any food lying around to encourage them.

Hmmmn, worth having a think about, thankyou.
Unfortunately, I'm not very DIY-ee! :roll:

Going back to hutches though, I have heard a lot about this one... Does anyone have any views??
http://www.bitsforpets.com/5ft-doub...ie-penthouse-5ft-2ft-double-hutch-p-4091.html

Looks fine as a hutch, but still needs a run so will take you over budget.

I prefer the look of this one personally:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230589034427&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Are there any out of work carpenters or joiners in your area who would make one to your spec. There are always adds in my local post offices. The Happy Hutch Company advertised in Rabbiting On looks good. It's local to me and I vouched I would go there next time I needed a hutch. I too got one from Pets at Home and it fell to pieces. The Happy Hutch does online deliveries. Or what about a dog run mind you they are not cheap bought new.
Good Luck
P1000536-1.jpg

That's huuuuge :D
Looks good. What do you think to it housing two buns though? Reckon they'd be okay?

It meets the minimum RSPCA requirements, so would be ok long as they are small to medium (it's a shame the run isn't a bit taller) and happily bonded. I still prefer sheds or larger playhouses as you get in them with the buns and spend time with them even when the weather is bad. Dog kennels and aviaries are good too but probably over budget xx

Hmmmn, worth having a think about, thankyou.
Unfortunately, I'm not very DIY-ee! :roll:

Going back to hutches though, I have heard a lot about this one... Does anyone have any views??
http://www.bitsforpets.com/5ft-doub...ie-penthouse-5ft-2ft-double-hutch-p-4091.html

These are made from fir which is a soft wood. Having been involved with rescue I have seen made fairly new fir hitches which have virtually been destroyed by chewing rabbits. You for long lasting hutches you can do far better with your money.

There are many discussions over chicken coops on here. They are unsuitable as a home for rabbits and are like medium sized runs with a protected area of a hutch which is approximately 3 x 2 foot which offers a poor protection against the sun and also the wind / rain. To make them suitable for rabbits they need to be adapted by adding a run to it and boarding up some of the sides which will cost you more than buying a decent hutch with attatched run.

These are made from fir which is a soft wood. Having been involved with rescue I have seen made fairly new fir hitches which have virtually been destroyed by chewing rabbits. You for long lasting hutches you can do far better with your money.

Thanks, but I don't know which hutches ARE long-lasting... Can you suggest any??? :?

There are many discussions over chicken coops on here. They are unsuitable as a home for rabbits and are like medium sized runs with a protected area of a hutch which is approximately 3 x 2 foot which offers a poor protection against the sun and also the wind / rain. To make them suitable for rabbits they need to be adapted by adding a run to it and boarding up some of the sides which will cost you more than buying a decent hutch with attatched run.

Thanks for this also, I shan't waste my money then... ;)

Back