• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering very very tiny bunnies?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello :wave:,

I have the most tiny little netherland dwarf bunny, called Peanut. He is absolutely adorable and extremely weeny. He has never grown very much at all and is the smallest adult bun I've ever seen.

I'm very apprehesive about neutering him as he is soooo tiny.

Apart from the not spraying and humping, which isn't really an issue, are there any other health benefits that he could benefit from?

I'm worried about putting such a tiny bunny under anaesthetic if he doesn't need it.

I have pics of him on my phone but I'm unable to email them.

Nic x x x

:wave:

How old is he and how much (little!) does he weigh? Does he have testicles on view?

If he's otherwise healthy and is small but not really runt-tiny, I wouldn't be unduly worried as the smaller the creature, the less anaesthetic is used. In my experience the smaller buns seem to cope better with anaesthetic than bigger ones although I'm not sure why that should be. Maybe a full vet check and pre-op bloods beforehand to ensure that everything is as normal as it should be, before going ahead? Personally if everything is ok, I would go ahead with it, if you have confidence that your vet is competent with buns, as the spraying/humping suggest sexual frustration which can't be fun for any bun. Even if you're not planning on bonding him with a pal at the moment, if he does get done, it means that it might be something you could consider in the future without having to worry about the GA when he's older.

The Duchess has a gorgeous little nethie who only weighs about 500-600g; she was spayed a while ago so it can be done.

:wave:Hi, I don't know how heavy your bun is but I had my little girl spayed last year and she was 1.2 kgs. She was fine with some good tlc. I think if you know you have a good vet it's best to go ahead as it's the best thing to do for both the girls and boys.:)

Hello :wave:

Thank you for your replies. I don't know his exact weight but he is well under a kilo. He's about 4 years old, maybe a bit older.

He doesn't spray or hump excessively. I had bonded him with a speyed female. What are the other health benefits for male bunnies?

Next time I go to the vets I will get him weighed. If I manage to get a pic emailed I will post one on here for you to see how tiny he is.

Nic x x x

As long as the bunny is adult and healthy then they should have no problems neutering him, even if he is small. It is also a much easier op for boys as well.

Awww I have a bun called Peanut too! First I've ever come across so far here :love: Have you seen your vet yet? They should be able to give you advise and put your mind at rest. If they are confident that it will be ok and you trust them I don't see any reason not too.

I have the most tiny little netherland dwarf bunny, called Peanut. He is absolutely adorable and extremely weeny. He has never grown very much at all and is the smallest adult bun I've ever seen.

Apart from the not spraying and humping, which isn't really an issue, are there any other health benefits that he could benefit from?

I'm worried about putting such a tiny bunny under anaesthetic if he doesn't need it.

Nic x x x

I have a Netherlands Dwarf and she is 2 she is very small but she has been neutered when she was one but it sounds like your bun is very smal and probably smaller than mine. I would ask your vet for some advice seeing that she/he would know best and some specialize in neutering.
If the vet says it is ok (fingers crossed) I would not worry that much if the vet says its a bit risky I would just listen to her/he. Hope this helps.:love:
I have also had one of our velvetines neutered and he is a boy. It is not as risky with boys than girls. Netherlands dwarves are very light so unless the vet said you should be careful about their weight thats something which you can take of your mind!!

Nic x x x

Last edited:
Back