• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Incisor removal...u/d 21 Mar. Milo in surgery today

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Fudge and Milo arrived at the sanctuary at the beginning of November. This is their original thread:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=251977&highlight=fudge+milo

Both had terrible incisors which needed clipping every 2 to 3 weeks. Fudge arrived in much better health than Milo, so had his incisors removed a while ago.

My vet felt that Milo wasn't in good enough health to have his incisors removed then...He was skinny, wobbly on his back legs, and his heart and lungs didn't sound very good.

Well...my vet saw him yesterday and is so impressed with his improvement that she has said his incisors can be taken out next time they need clipping.

Part of me thinks that it's a good idea to get them removed because his top incisors curl inwards as they grow which can't be very comfortable for him...but part of me thinks that if he was poorly only a few months ago, that he could go downhill equally as fast now.

Now I really don't know what to do...Arrgh! Any opinions?

Last edited:
How does he react to having them clipped?

Gus needs his doing every 6-8 weeks but he copes really well so I opted to continue with that rather than have them removed, but if he got really stressed I'd reconsider.

Maybe have them clipped next time and wait until the time after to make the decision?

I'd opt for pre op bloods and chest xray. If all OK then I'd go ahead with the incisor extraction. Chances are the roots will ultimately cause issues so removal now should halt progression of Incisor root problems (dacryocystitis,'snuffles' symptoms,abscesses,osteomyelitis,). It should also reduce the rate of progression of any molar problems.

We had this same problem with Thistle - she was up to being clipped every week - and her health was so bad with scarred lungs, etc that she had had to be resucscitated under GA once already. However the vet gave a course of penicillin (injected) got her in as much good health as possible and went for it -

She has never looked back! her health has improved SO MUCH - obviously the incisors and the clipping and the problems eating were all feedng into the low immunity etc.

Since having them out she has not had a runny nose or wheezy snuffles at all!!!

All I can add is he came through his neuter ok..so as long as tests done and vet happy I may be willing to go ahead

Millions of vibes from me.

When my Herbie had his out he was a wee soul, his wee face was swollen out like he had been punched :(

Just get some nice food in to tempt him to eat after the op x

Thanks for the vibes guys :D

Milo came through the surgery really well and came home yesterday evening. He nibbled on some veg last night, and tucked into a bowl of soaked pellets with great gusto this morning :D :D

Thanks for the vibes guys :D

Milo came through the surgery really well and came home yesterday evening. He nibbled on some veg last night, and tucked into a bowl of soaked pellets with great gusto this morning :D :D

Excellent news. :D My Spenser is sometimed needing his pellets soaked just now. He is having x-rays on Thursday to see if he has trouble with his back teeth or roots. Hope Milo continues to keep better.

Back