• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UD: kept at vets, Vibes please*** !! Coming Home !!***

Rodentranch

Alpha Buck
...to poo. What poo has come out is very runny and a dark yellow/light brown colour.

I gave the buns carrot (as far as I know this is the first time Daisy has had it) yesterday and now Daisy isn't very well at all.

Was still munching like crazy when I went to bed but was overly chilled, flopping out, when I got up, then it occured to me, TOO chilled.

Have already called the vet and am taking her in.

Do you think it is just the carrot though? Or Worse???:shock: It is nothing like when thomas had stasis....

She has eated a few pellets from my hand, but really not interested in her hay or greens :cry:

Just looking for some advice before I get to the vet really I guess :( (Edited as that was not meant to be a laughing smilie)

Last edited:
It sound like true diarrhoea, which is very serious in bunnies as they dehydrate very quickly so it's good that you are taking her to the vet- try and get seen as soon as possible. I hope she feels better soon xx

Sorry to hear Daisy isn't well :(

I can't say if it was the carrot, although I suppose it could be a possibility.

Best thing is what you are doing, take her to the vet.

In the meantime, keep her calm and cosy, with a snugglesafe if you have one, and offer her water in a bowl if she doesn't already have one. I would monitor what she eats/drinks and poos/wees so you can give the vet an idea of amounts.

Good luck at the vet, and keep us posted.

I have a snugglesafe here if you need to borrow it hun.

Make sure they give her sub cut fluids to keep her hydrated.

Vet said that the gut noises are reduced, but couldn't feel any lumps/blockages or anything like that.

I decided that she should stay there so that they can monitor her and make sure that she is given everything properly. I am a complete wuss when it comes to giving animals medication/injections and don't know if I could do it properly :( I might rethink this tomorrow and bring her home whether there is improvement or not as I couldn't decide whether leaving Thomas would have any sort of effect on her (They've been together for a few weeks)? If I have to do it, I'm sure I can muddle my way through...

Kris: They said she is still quite hydrated but will give her fluids as part of the treatment. Thanks for the offer of the snugglesafe, looks like I have time to go buy one now though :cry:

If anyone could please send some vibes our way, we would really appreciate it. x

Sending you vibes. x

Sub/cut injections are very easy to do. Did they say what they were going to give her?

Sending you vibes. x

Sub/cut injections are very easy to do. Did they say what they were going to give her?

Thanks x

They did, but I got upset and I can't remember now, I think I stopped listening and just started nodding, whilst trying not to cry :oops:

Going to pop out in a bit and grab some ciggies (I only smoke when really stressed and never inside because of the kids and animals), then I'll phone them and get the info again.

Just spoken to Vet. Daisy is pooing and eating, her stomach feel fine and she can come home!!

Apparently she nearly had the nurse's arm off this morning for some corriander (that's my girl!) :lol:

One bit of bad news though - they're sending some meds home with her - baytril (is this actually helpful?) and fibreplex. Don't know how I'm going to manage to administer this!! :shock: :shock:

I imagen it will be yes :wave:

Its fairly easy to give meds IMO. Bunnies have a gap between thier front teeth and the next ones along so you can just slip the syringe in the gap and gently squeeze the meds into her :wave: ETA: I always use insulin syringes (small, thin ones) ask for some of those if you can :wave:

Oh good - Just wondered as it's an antibiotic isn't it.

I had rats with on-going respiratory problems a few years ago and never got the hang of giving the baytril by mouth. I used to mix it with a bit of flavoured yoghurt instead :oops:

and thanks I'll make sure to get those :)

Oh good - Just wondered as it's an antibiotic isn't it.

I had rats with on-going respiratory problems a few years ago and never got the hang of giving the baytril by mouth. I used to mix it with a bit of flavoured yoghurt instead :oops:

and thanks I'll make sure to get those :)

:wave: I didn't know you were on here hun. Get the vet to show you how to administer it correctly and ask them to watch you do it with the syringe filled with water.

Doing really well :)

Evertime she sees me now she jumps up and starts munching hay as if to say 'look i'm doing it, don't put anymore of that stuff in my mouth!' :lol:

She also spent a lot of time today harrassing the man who came to look at the boiler (was still working but needed new parts) and the man who came to fix the washing machine :lol:

Getting the meds in and taking the recovery food, now that I have it sussed!

Back