• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Low weight

little-laura

Wise Old Thumper
hey guys

yuki is eating and has no sign of health issues but she needs to put on weight she doesnt seem to be eating much of her pellets, but I have been giving her veggies which she guzzles down

What pellets and veggies would be best for her to put on weight

Russel rabbit is good to fatten them up. But hay and veggies over time will bulk them up. I'm a vet nurse and always see overweight bunnies! Rabbits should be slim, so I'm sure your rabbit is perfect!

I'm not sure, but what is she on at the moment? I'd check with someone more expert, but it might be appropriate to give her junior pellets. If you put a post in 'diet' you might get someone with more knowledge coming along. :wave:

Russel rabbit is good to fatten them up. But hay and veggies over time will bulk them up. I'm a vet nurse and always see overweight bunnies! Rabbits should be slim, so I'm sure your rabbit is perfect!

Just a bit concerned as she is feeling quite light though is at the moment guzzling greens and carrots quite manically lol :roll:

I know I shouldnt be that worried as she is eating -___- shes just a bit picky about her pellets

Totally normal, must healthy bunnies will choose hay and veg over the pellets.
If you feel her ribs but can't see them then perfect weight.
:)

Totally normal, must healthy bunnies will choose hay and veg over the pellets.
If you feel her ribs but can't see them then perfect weight.
:)

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you Hellybelly. Most rabbits, in fact I have to say all rabbits in my experience, except those which are unwell and not eating at all, will choose pellets over hay, even those who absolutely love their hay.

My analagy = In our world hay would equal cereal and pellets would equal pizza so give a choice to a child and it would choose pizza everytime. Same for rabbits.

Hay is much harder work so to give a rabbit something which has more flavour and that can just be gulped down without much effort he/she is always going to choose hay last.

Just a bit concerned as she is feeling quite light though is at the moment guzzling greens and carrots quite manically lol :roll:

I know I shouldnt be that worried as she is eating -___- shes just a bit picky about her pellets

Hiya

Don't know the history of your bunny but have you had the teeth checked recently? Eating veg is easier than pellets or hay so it would be the choice for a rabbit with a sore mouth.

Or, have the pellets changed recently? New bag? Mine sometimes aren't so keen on a new bag if it's a new 'batch number'

If you are concerned about weight loss I would recommend a vet trip because it could be related to a whole host of things, including EC.

It is unlikely a healthy rabbit is underweight from not eating enough so I think a vet check is a good idea.

If a rabbit needs to put on weight there are far healthier ways than giving a mix, which could lead to sticky bum etc

If you just feed more mix they will not eat as much hay which is not good for teeth etc.

Have you tried Yuki with a richer hay like Oat hay and maybe some ready grass?
What pellets do you feed?

My vet has seen a few bunnies like this recently, including my rabbit Mae :wave:
Mae had a blood test and went under GA for a dental as I thought that may be the problem, she had the TINYEST spur which wasnt causing any problems. Shes a mystery :? Shes a weeny nethie and got down to 700g, her ideal weight is 1.3kg. One day she just put weight on again and got to 1.3kg :roll:

Is she bonded? Prehaps you could seperate her at feeding times and maybe give her some soaked porridge oats if there is nothing medically wrong :wave:

Bluebell has ongoing illness so we are having to work hard to keep his weight on but the best way I found was to increase root veg and change to a junior pellet. We are also giving him smaller more often meals as he would get full and just not eat it if you gave him more at his usual feeding time. He also gets a teaspoon of ellas kitchen, which is a babyfood that is just pureed fruit. BUT as everyone has already said if it was my bunny I'd want it seen by a vet to find out why it was losing weight in the first place which I see you're already arranging. Hope it goes ok.

Back