• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how old before..

missFloppyears

Warren Veteran
i can handle the baby buns?
theyre now a week old and i had been handling them but decided against it now, wo any idea what age they should be before i can handle them?

My advice was obviously not what you wanted to hear, which is fine, but I learnt it from a variety of good sources.

I will leave you and your kits and apologise for whatever I've said that's wrong. I hope they all do fine and mum does fine.

Oh, does this mean no more gorgeous pics of the babies, I was enjoying following them...

No advice this end I'm afraid, I haven't had baby buns before. Would have thought though that if you had been handling them already with no problems it would be ok to carry on?

My advice was obviously not what you wanted to hear, which is fine, but I learnt it from a variety of good sources.

I will leave you and your kits and apologise for whatever I've said that's wrong. I hope they all do fine and mum does fine.

I dont think shes ignoring your advice i think its shes trying to get as much advice as possible to be sure

iv been handling these babies from 4 days old and they are just over 3 wks old and come for a fuss :love: i think as long as mum isnt stressed out then i cant see why not

no sky-O youve been a Gem this is one member saying i shouldnt handle them and my mum looks stressed, this memeber is so well recommended the same as you are so i have been left confused about what im too do, :cry:

iv been handling these babies from 4 days old and they are just over 3 wks old and come for a fuss :love: i think as long as mum isnt stressed out then i cant see why not

thats the thing i dont think mum is stressed but i have been bought up on it here by one member here and several others elsewhere

if you think mum is happy for you to handle them then go for it.there will always be people that disagree.the more handling the better imo :)

If the mum knows you then there is no reason not to handle them. In fact it's better to handle them for these reasons
1 you can check make sure they are healthy and eating.
2 it helps to get them used to being handled

I don't know where this no handling comes from tbh :? Rabbits aren't like some other animals that would abandon the babies because they have been touched! I have never seen it happen.

You can handle them from day 1, and I think it's best cos you can check they're feeding, and to be honest, you have to check that there are no dead ones in the nest after they're all born.

If the mum is stressed then tempt her into another part of the hutch or wherever she lives (if possible) with some food to distract her, and then quickly check that their bellies are full and they're active etc. Just do it twice a day and let them sleep the rest of the time. Make sure to cover them over with fur afterwards.

I don't know where this no handling comes from tbh :? Rabbits aren't like some other animals that would abandon the babies because they have been touched! I have never seen it happen.[/QUOTE]

I have.

Apart from checking them over with gloves rubbed in plenty of the mothers smell I leave well alone until the bunnies are out of the nest of their own accord. I tire of people ringing me up after they have bred animals and then interferred too much and expect me to hand rear for them.

Of course not all animals are the same. Not all bunnies dig, not all bunnies bite, not all bunnies have the same temperament. However, a mammals instinct is that if there is any threat to their babies whatsoever then they can kill them (or worse eat them to bring themselves back into season with the nourishment) so that they can have another brood that they can rear in safety away from predators.

see SKY-O said this from the very begining but another member decided to share theire 2 sense and tbh i wonder if they know what theyre talking about but problem solved that member is on ignore :wave:

thanks guys guess i have some apologies to make and lots of photos to take ;)
eyes are open and theyre mini buns now so shall go get camera, :lol:

I saw your pictures they are gorgeous and all look lovely, fit and healthy :D

I think perhaps people who have problems, the most likely thing I have seen is because mama rabbits ignore the babies other than the few minutes they go and feed them and because people don't understand this they panic rather than leave mum to do her job they start thinking the babies aren't getting fed.

Now yours have their eyes open they will be bounding around before you know it lol!!

Back