• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jenson isn't eating - help, advice before I panic U/D p3 He's back home.

Jenson

Mama Doe
Hello

I've not been home long, later than usual because I went to P@H for hay and Sainsbury quick.

Jenson didn't hop out, doesn't want pellets, either type or a crunchie.

As I'm typing this he keeps moving trying to get comfortable.

Any advice, I'm off to call the vet now anyway.

I'm struggling as this is my first proper panic with him.

Last edited:
Ok stay calm but yes it is def best to go to the vets. Can you gently rub his tummy it can help to make him more comfy

Sounds like his stomach hurts. Could be anything from a bit of gas to stasis or a blockage. I'm sure your vet will be able to determine which. Just make sure they send you home with painkillers. Absolutely insist.

Good luck.

After several attempts to get through they said to wait till 9.30 ish but sooner if I wanted.

So I'm going to see if I can calmly coax him into his carrier which will be hard as I'm struggling to be calm.

sadly if you dont have pain relief at home i think youll need to go to the vets. if you do have the right stuff at home give the drugs and get him moving about.

loads of vibes xxxx

They've kept him in :cry::cry:
Vet said she only heard one gut sounds and he has a little wet patch under his chin. She said his stomach feels full and she has kept him in for medication and sringe feeding and then Guy (the bunny vet) is back in the morning and will check his teeth.

It's so hard leaving him there and I've just spend the last however long on the phone to my Mum. It's horrible coming back to an empty cage and I'll have to go to work tomorrow but if all goes ok and he can come home tomorrow I'm going to ask for Wednesday off.

Thank you for all the vibes, I miss him so much already so I'm off for a hot shower in a vauge attempt to calm down. Sorry if I'm not making sense.

After reading other posts tonight :shock::cry:
I've just phoned the vet for an update. Jenson still hasn't eaten but has taken critical care and has calmed down (apparently he was thumping). The nurse has been very kind and patient with me and is going to call before she goes home in the morning.

Hi try not to be too despOndent, it's possibly a bit over cautious on the vets part keeping him in but to be fair she most likely wants to cover herself if not confident, could the wet chin have been from drinking from a bowl?

Usually the course of action is to work out when they last ate & drank & listen to the gut apparently there are 4 areas to listen to, they usually do a physical examination of the tummy area gently feeling it & assess the condition a bit more after teeth, eyes, ears, temperature has been checked, if they are pretty confident it's early stasis then they will inject metaclopromide the gut stimulant, metacam for pain & anti inflammatory & if necessary & ideally subcut fluids then you go home & do your best to let them rest, move around keep warm & tempt to eat if it doesn't work really they should check with X-ray IMO foe blockages & give iv fluids, that course of treatment worked for my doe but, I did insist on her coming home rather than staying overnight & I sous always emerging to do that just to keep stress to a minimum, I would have taken her back the following morning if she hadn't perked up. Fingers crossed your little guy will be alright & home again tomorrow, you need to keep a close eye on them for some time after as it can reoccur due to the upset in bacteria so stick to feeding little & often wet herbs like dill, flat leaf parsley & carrot tops, spring greens avoid 'gassy' veg like broccoli cabbage if poss & lots of high fibre like dandelions or plantain would be good thehayexperts do them dried I'd that helps best of luck hope he's home tomorrow & back to normality x

Last edited:
Apologies for spells I'm in bed only phone & can't seem to scroll down to edit :roll: predicitive text nightmare!

Hope Jenson will be okay.

Mac stopped eating for no reason last Sunday, and like you I'd never had to deal with anything like that with them before, so I empathise- not a nice feeling at all. He wasn't kept in but was on various drugs all week and is back to his normal self now.

Try if you can to get a good night's sleep, if he's not well, he needs you, so you need to look after yourself. So much easier to give that advice than take it (its what my Mum said to her when I rang her in tears about Mac last week.)

Vibes for you both, thinking of you.

Back