• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can vets look at back teeth without GA?

Nikki26

Mama Doe
Probably a simple question but can a vet look at their back teeth without anaesthetising a rabbit?

I took dougal to the vet this morning as he stopped eating and I told the vet that I was worried about his teeth. He checked his incisors but said they would need to knock him out to look at the back teeth.I know they might not be able to have a thorough check while awake but I thought you could have a quick look.

Fortunately, after having 3 injections, Dougal is eating and pooping again:D

possibly sedation but i have no idea really, you could ask your vet if its possible.. Pearl was sedated for her xrays, not a full GA but enough to relax her to have the xrays :wave:

Yes it is possible, they just have to use a scope with a light on. Bluey gets his checked every couple of months and this is done conscious :D

They can check while awake but they can't check right to the back, so you can see the majority of the teeth, but not all of them, so for a complete and thorough check, it would need to be done under GA. Some dental issues can get missed this way.

They can check while awake but they can't check right to the back, so you can see the majority of the teeth, but not all of them, so for a complete and thorough check, it would need to be done under GA. Some dental issues can get missed this way.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wot Sky said :)

There is an instrument to open the rabbit's mouth that I have seen in use. The rabbit did not look too happy but it only lasted a moment and it was far less stressful than GA. I still suppose that you need GA in case you want to do a careful, complete check.

I thought so. Thank you. I have real doubts about the local vets i sometimes use. I do have a vet that is more rabbit savvy but he's quite a way. I panicked this morning as I had to go to work so took him to the local one but like to know what I'm talking about in case they give me wrong advice. If he stops eating again, he will be straight off to the rabbit savvy vet.

I thought so. Thank you. I have real doubts about the local vets i sometimes use. I do have a vet that is more rabbit savvy but he's quite a way. I panicked this morning as I had to go to work so took him to the local one but like to know what I'm talking about in case they give me wrong advice. If he stops eating again, he will be straight off to the rabbit savvy vet.

Is Trinity your 'Savvy' one ?

You wont go far wrong if you go there and see Mark Rowlands :D

(*Disclaimer-no I am not stalking Mark !!*)

There is an instrument to open the rabbit's mouth that I have seen in use. The rabbit did not look too happy but it only lasted a moment and it was far less stressful than GA. I still suppose that you need GA in case you want to do a careful, complete check.

The vets used this on Jasp too. Def no sedation as he was back with me 10mins after they'd took him :)

Is Trinity your 'Savvy' one ?

You wont go far wrong if you go there and see Mark Rowlands :D

(*Disclaimer-no I am not stalking Mark !!*)

Lol! No, I don't go to Trinity vets yet but I'm definitely going to consider it. The rabbit savvy vet I use is one that was recommended to me by my local rescue as it's the only vets they will use. I am moving again soon so will have to look into finding another vet. :?

Using the instrument on a conscious animal can give the vet an idea of what is going on, and of course they might be able to see spurs, missing teeth, ulcers etc, but just because nothing is seen, it cannot comprehensively rule things out. Bunnies mouths have lots of fleshy folds and it is just not possible to take a thorough look.

My Santa used to have her teeth checked while conscious about once a month, but it was only when she went under a GA to have a dental that the vet discovered she actually had a spur growing out sideways into her cheek. There is no way she could ever have spotted that during a conscious check, which is why I always say that if there is anything to indicate a dental problem, you simply can't rely 100% on a conscious check.

Back