• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snoring lop bunnies - is this normal ?

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Nancy my one earred bunny used to snore something terrible for 2 years. The vet said it was because she only had one functioning ear canal. She was also a lop earred bunny.

Now I have a new rescued lop of 5 years of age. I have noticed she slighly snores too.

Is this to do with the breed ? None of my pointed earred bunnies have snored.

She is due to go for her first check up next weeks and vaccinations and to check she is fine for spaying.

My rabbits are indoors in a dry warm but not overheated area.

Not sure, I'd get the vet to check it out. I haven't noticed my lop or semilop snoring but they have got snuffles so Widget in particular has been breathing quite loudly at times.

My oldest lop bun, Frasier, he snores and the vet has checked and there is nothing wrong with him because of this. Its just one of those things. He only snores when he is in a deep sleep and you see his little head moving.:love: If you are worried its worth getting your vet to check it out. :)

My Kermit used to snore. I loved the noise. You have actually made me smile just thinking about the little lad.
Thanks xx

Starbuck snores, but he is a deaf bunny so he has no idea what noises he makes. He makes so many more noises in general than any of my other bunnies.

I have two other lops and none of them snore, so maybe it is just down to individual bunnies, but if your bunnies hearing isnt great, this may be why - as she may not notice herself doing it :D

Bungle snores, but he is quite a noisy bunny. He whimpers when you pick him up, buzzes when he is excited and his breathing is very noisey and rattley because of his deformed nose.

My little Pixie makes noises not when she's asleep but when she's happiest - nomming her fav cabbage and when she sees you (probably because she thinks you have treats)!! She sort of sqeeks and snorts which is a very cute sound that I just love :love: She has been checked by the vet and has no issues with anything it's just 'her'.

Sometimes lops snore or make other noises due to the shortening of the nasal passages if they are a chubby faced lop bred to meet show standards similar to short faced dog breeds like pugs.

I'd definitely get her checked out by your face in case though:)

Bungle snores, but he is quite a noisy bunny. He whimpers when you pick him up, buzzes when he is excited and his breathing is very noisey and rattley because of his deformed nose.

Awww Starbuck buzzes too, I love it! :love: He is my little bee!!

Back