• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Papaya for moulting?

Indy

Warren Scout
My little girly is moulting shedloads and im sure i heard that you could give papaya during their moults to help with hairballs?

Anyone know if im going insane or if this is true?

My little girly is moulting shedloads and im sure i heard that you could give papaya during their moults to help with hairballs?

Anyone know if im going insane or if this is true?

i think you mean Pineapple juice.
Prevents hairballs, and is also a gut stimulant

Ahhhhhh this could be it. Do you just add a tiny bit to their water? Enough to colour it?

Both papaya and pineapple contain enzymes called bromelain(e)/papain which are reported to break down hair and you can even buy dried chunks from various pet emporiums and health food shops. However, there is debate as to whether it actually helps. Some people swear by it - and insist it works well. The Harcourt-Brown textbook of rabbit medicine suggests that she believes it is "nothing more than a sugary treat": there is also concern that in an animal with a sluggish gut, giving extra sugar will do more harm than good because it will both change the pH of the gut and sugar creates hormonal changes in rabbits which also slow down their guts. The enzymes are also destroyed by heat, so pasteurised/tinned products including fruit juices will not contain the active enzyme.

Personally I would avoid it and just ensure that the buns have access to plenty of clean, fresh water and leafy vegetables to keep them well hydrated, and use some kind of brush/glove to help remove as much as the loose fur as possible to stop the bun from ingesting too much.

Last edited:
Both papaya and pineapple contain enzymes called bromelain(e)/papain which are reported to break down hair and you can even buy dried chunks from various pet emporiums and health food shops. However, there is debate as to whether it actually helps. Some people swear by it - and insist it works well. The Harcourt-Brown textbook of rabbit medicine suggests that she believes it is "nothing more than a sugary treat": there is also concern that in an animal with a sluggish gut, giving extra sugar will do more harm than good because it will both change the pH of the gut and sugar creates hormonal changes in rabbits which also slow down their guts. The enzymes are also destroyed by heat, so pasteurised/tinned products including fruit juices will not contain the active enzyme.

Personally I would avoid it and just ensure that the buns have access to plenty of clean, fresh water and leafy vegetables to keep them well hydrated, and use some kind of brush/glove to help remove as much as the loose fur as possible to stop the bun from ingesting too much.

^^^^^^^^^^^ As above :)

Back