• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Manuka honey - How on earth do I use it?! Hahah!

georgie_f

Mama Doe
Following advice from my first post about Smiley (my RSPCA foster bun who suffers from mouth abssesses) I have invested in a jar of Manuka honey...

But I haven't got a clue how to use it. :oops: Can anyone answer the following for me -

- How much do I give him?
- How often do I give it?
- And how on earth do I feed it to him?! :lol:

Thanks guys. :):wave:

You don't feed bunster it, you try to put it in the abscess hole.

I put it in with a cotton bud, kinda twist the bud round and it comes off in the hole. Just use as much as you need to fill the hole, if possible, or put it on the top of the abscess if you can't get access to the hole.

Try to take out any pus you can get out first :)

Just to check, is it Manuka Honey with a high UMF value?

I am no expert but did it both orally and on the wound of my bunny. I am not sure what effect it has on their teeth, but I used it with bayril as well as packing it on her operation wound, huge ear operation. The vet did not say how much so to use so I did what I judged as a reasonable amount. I found she healed quickly when I used it. I mixed a small amount with pineapple juice with the manuka honey to feed with the baytril.

Ahhh, I see! I thought I was supposed to feed him a little bit every day :oops::lol: Smiley doesn't currently have any abssesses (*touches wood*) and I've never dealt with a bun with abssesses before. :oops:

At least I have some for when I need it though. :lol: It has +10 written on the jar - is that ok?

Back