• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Long Earred Owls

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
I have been watching these for weeks

I went today for a chat with the communities officer about doing some volunteering.my uncle and cousin were at Explorers (RSPB Youth group) so I had a few hours to kill.

I went to see the swans (I am obsessed, esp with this pair, they follow me, and pose and everything!)

But there were a lot of people near where the owls were seen, so wandered over. So pleased I did :D

These were from the other week.

listingsandswans046.jpg

listingsandswans045.jpg

listingsandswans044.jpg

Todays piccies

Saltholme212.jpg

Saltholme208.jpg

Saltholme210.jpg

Jump on the number one, it drops you off outside the reserve, every half an hour. There are always guides with high powered monoscopes for you to look through

The RSPB place? I've been, my friends mam took us... We loved it. We're hopefully gonna go more often once the weather warms up :D

They're well camouflaged aren't they! I can't see any owls in the first 3 pictures :lol:

They look lovely though. Lucky you! :)

Wow!!! :love:

Am jealous lol - they're the only owl I haven't seen in the UK. So beautiful. I love owls too. It was so special when we turned round on our Yorkshire hols and found ourselves about 3ft from a Tawny owl sat staring at us - more so as my husband had never seen one before. I love watching birds but do so in a calm, when-I-can way rather than a manically-chasing-across-the-country-to-see-a-rare-bird way lol.

Wonderful pics. Thank you so much!! :love: :love: xx

I was talking to one of the old guys (what is it with old blokes, cameras and birds) and he was showing me piccies of short eared and barn owls, not half a mile up the road, telling me of the best places to go :D

I love twitchers, they are all so friendily. I was on the reserve for 4 and half hours today, and only came across one snotty couple. :lol::D

I was talking to one of the old guys (what is it with old blokes, cameras and birds) and he was showing me piccies of short eared and barn owls, not half a mile up the road, telling me of the best places to go :D

I love twitchers, they are all so friendily. I was on the reserve for 4 and half hours today, and only came across one snotty couple. :lol::D

When I went there was a dead nice man with a full telescope set up and was saying to me and my friend we were free to have a look... And he was pointing out things for us to look at.
I love bird watchers!

Oh wow! Where is this?

I am a little bit of a bird watcher :oops: I know what you mean about nice people, I was at a reserve over new year and a lovely lady called me over to tell me she had her scope focused on a Bittern...I was well happy :D:D

Kath, I had a smile from ear to ear coming away, it was quite amazing. By the end of the day there were 5, but I didn't have time to go back down :( Maybe tomorrow, as I am going in to do some volunteering.

Oh wow! Where is this?

I am a little bit of a bird watcher :oops: I know what you mean about nice people, I was at a reserve over new year and a lovely lady called me over to tell me she had her scope focused on a Bittern...I was well happy :D:D

Its RSPB Saltholme, on the Teesside coast, sort of Middlesbrough/Hartlepool ways

Back