• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

it's my fault bisc and matt have been ill

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
my dads just been round and he said in here feels really damp. he could feel the damp in the air.

i always complain it's draughty and have for ages, so i put duvets round the doors etc.. and turns out i've blocked the natural air flow :(

i complained the walls had damp on them.. and now i know why.

also turns out the boiler was on the wrong setting so it kept clicking off before the thermostat in the actual lounge, so when i thought it was a certain temperature in the house, it actually wasn't because of the boiler. :(

so we have all been living in really damp, cold air for ages now. makes sense why me and o/h are always ill, why i feel such a draught all the time. the air is so cold, like in a supermarket when you walk past the freezers,. that is how bad it has been.. and i just thought it was this house.

my dads sorted the boiler to be in sync with the house and i've turned the thermostat up which i wasn't doing because i thought it made matt worse. well he feels the same temperature now as he did when it was on a lower number..

i didn't know you change the setting on the boiler. i thought aslong as the thermostat was on a certain number it would be stable in here. so when we had all that snow etc.. we were soooooo cold, i was crying i was that cold, but i didn't change the temperature because i didn't want to make matt worse.

even maisie has been sneezing lately, and ches and maisie have been to the vets a few times because i thought they had respiratory problems but he could never find anything wrong with them.. but i should have known because when i change their bedding, the towels underneath are ice cold and damp.

i bet i've made them all worse, especially bisc and matt. maybe that's why they couldn't get better no matter what we did. :cry::cry::cry:

i feel so guilty. :cry::cry::cry:

i'm so stupid. i never let anyone come round so no-one knew really. i've seen my mum and dad a few times but it wasn't obvious to my dad then.

and when my o/h goes to stay with family he's fine, and then he gets ill as soon as he's back. and i still didn't think. we thought we were ill from the hay as we both have hayfever.

and i don't leave the house for weeks or months at a time, so no wonder i have been ill for so long. :(

i can still feel a slight draught but my dad says it's because the house has never been warm enough to dry all the damp out. so i can feel a slight draught now, but it feels like a normal one now, like other peoples houses do near doors when it's cold. we have the front and back door in the same room so it's always going to be colder than most houses, but even so, can't believe i didn't think.

poor pets. bisc and matt had respiratory problems anyway, i bet i just made them so much worse. i moved here to get them indoors and keep them stable and well. :cry:

Oh bless you. dont feel bad about it its easily done. I shut all the windows in my bedroom to keep it warm and the walls went mouldy because there was no air flow. At least now you can do something about it :D

We all make mistakes. I'm sorry you have all been ill, but hopefully you can put it behind you now. :wave:

Try not to feel bad, you weren't to know. At least now you've solved the problem, I hope you all start to feel better soon :)

You can't know these things!
I hope that things get better now.

You could maybe buy a dehumidifier to help dry out the damp. I use one in my house when i am drying clothes on my radiator.

yeh, i'll get a dehumidifier. i never know what to do for the best with the temperature etc. bisc and matt are so sensitive.

i'll open the windows for a little bit aswell everyday. i stopped doing that when it got cold. i do when i clean and hoover though.

argh, so mad at myself. :evil:

but least we can sort it now. :) still a draught from the back doors but have bought yet more curtains to go up. fully lined so that should help.. hopefully! and bisc and matt will enjoy chewing holes in them. :roll::lol:

sorry about the rant :oops:

Hooray for your Dad!:D I'm glad its sorted.
You don't know if it was anything to do with the damp, so please stop worrying about the past-- be positive and look to the future.:D
sue:wave:

Thats great you got it sorted. I hope you do start feeling better. Don't beat yourself up about it - I have no idea about boilers etc. The council put a new one in and it kept breaking down only to finally find out they hadn't installed all pipes properly :shock: Now I would never know the difference to look at it because i'm not qualified - but I had the council inspecter, British Gas inspector and others all giving it the OKAY to use and safety certificate. Not one of them realised it didn't have a condense pipe. :roll::roll: SO those in the know about boilers make mistakes too. You seem like a wonderful bunny mummy so please stop beating yourself up xxx

Thats great you got it sorted. I hope you do start feeling better. Don't beat yourself up about it - I have no idea about boilers etc. The council put a new one in and it kept breaking down only to finally find out they hadn't installed all pipes properly :shock: Now I would never know the difference to look at it because i'm not qualified - but I had the council inspecter, British Gas inspector and others all giving it the OKAY to use and safety certificate. Not one of them realised it didn't have a condense pipe. :roll::roll: SO those in the know about boilers make mistakes too. You seem like a wonderful bunny mummy so please stop beating yourself up xxx

Romy - I hope you have a carbon monoxide detector.

Romy - I hope you have a carbon monoxide detector.

Oh I did think about that with Heather on Eastenders. THe council put in new fire alarms that run off the mains but I don't know if they are monoxide detectors as well. I will check it out and buy some if not. Thanks for reminding me.

don't beat yourself up! you are a lovely person and a great bunny (and piggy) mummy.

i hope you're all feeling warmer and better soon xxx

Oh sweetheart, it isn't your fault. :) I wouldn't know one end of a boiler from another so I'd easily do something like that! Glad it's been sorted, hopefully you'll all start improving. :thumb:

thanks. i get myself all worked up :oops:

i can't believe we have been like this for so long and it's improved so much since my dad sorted it out before! :roll: mind you, he did only rush round because i kept moaning about it :oops::lol:

we are all warm in here now. i had to turn it down a bit before, i was too hot! :roll: can't win!

and the bunnies are fine! i worry too much! :roll:

so glad it's sorted though. :)

Glad to hear it's getting better.
I've lived in a damp property before, it's not fun and not always obvious so don't beat yourself up.
Dehumidifier should help, they take SO much water out of the air!

I hope you feel better soon and the buns improve.

Hello, just remembered something we did when we had this problem one time, we put small pots of salt on the window sills, this helped absorb any condensation from the windows and prevented any mold. :D

Oh, you poor souls. I am so glad you are all doing better now. There are buns out there who have an awful lot mpre probs than your guys. A tiny hutch with no raincover - that's REALLY damp!

thanks everyone. i'll try the pots of salt on the windows sills and buy a dehumidifier aswell.

it's felt so much better now. my dad said the whole house needs to dry out and it does feel alot better now, the air isn't like ice cold now.

it also means we don't have to rush to move house now aswell. the draught and cold was one of the main reasons we were so desperate to move quickly. so now we can take out time and wait for the right house. :)

Definitely don't beat yourself up over it. Years ago we lived in a really damp flat and we made it worse by blocking up the ventilation holes etc, as the damp was so cold!

'Course it's not your fault- you do everything possible for your bunnies. They are lucky to have you for their bunnymummy xx

Back