• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which Cleaning Spray Do You Use?

sonnet

Alpha Buck
Which bunny friendly cleaning spray do you use for cleaning litter trays/floors/hutches/cages etc?

I've been using the Johnsons one but Dylan has started spraying up the hutch walls (his hutch is inside a large cabin of whose walls he doesn't spray-yet!!) & even though I scrub the area whilst damp it doesn't seem to totally remove the stain.

Wondered if there was a cleaner that was more powerful whilst still being bunny safe?

I use white vinegar with water in an old spray bottle, I also have some conficlean wipes which I use every now and then as well as the vinegar if a particular area needs extra attention.

I have indoor buns. I use Cascade to clean out the litter trays and Simple Solutions for when they pee on the carpet.

I used to use virkon, but I tend to use F10 disinfectant these days - if it's safe enough to nebulise straight into bunny lungs and is used in veterinary wound management then it must be safe enough to swish around their accommodation! And because it's a proper veterinary disinfectant, I feel reassured that it's been tested to kill a variety of nasties which can affect bunnies.

My mum used to get some brown stuff in a tin for us to use in the hutches .... we used to dilute it into a wee spreay bottle..... when we used it, we had to rinse the hutch after and let it dry...... I cant remember what it was called but apparently it would kill any bacteria, viruses or mites on the wood.......

I use white vinegar with water in an old spray bottle, I also have some conficlean wipes which I use every now and then as well as the vinegar if a particular area needs extra attention.

Where would I be able to buy white vinegar from - do supermarkets stock it?

I was wondering this too cos I need to neutralise everywhere before rebonding my two buns... Had a look in the supermarket at the weekend but could only see malt vinegar, although it came in both brown and White :? Is this the right stuff?

:wave: Yes you can get in from all main supermarkets, make sure it's the white vinegar and not the brown one that you put on your chips :lol: someone said Asda do a large economy bottle for less than a pound but I could be wrong.

I was wondering this too cos I need to neutralise everywhere before rebonding my two buns... Had a look in the supermarket at the weekend but could only see malt vinegar, although it came in both brown and White :? Is this the right stuff?

I bought the Sarsons white distilled vinegar, it does say that it's distilled malt vinegar on the bottle but that's fine, this is the one you need, as long as it's the white and not the brown one. I don't think there is actually any difference when it comes to it's cleaning properties only that the white one doesn't stain. :D

I would point out though that while vinegar is excellent for dissolving wee marks etc and does have some disinfecting properties, it is not a substitute for a proper veterinary-grade disinfectant. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that it does kill some bacteria and viruses but it is nowhere near comprehensive. So while I'd say it's fine to use for cleaning and neutralising (and similarly for anti-bacterial products which, as the name suggests are anti-bacterial not necessarily anti-viral) it is not the thing to use on its own if you are aiming to sterilise the area - for instance to prevent cross-contamination between rabbits or in the event of illness :)

Last edited:
I use co-op anti bacterial spray since all the Johnsons ones etc are probably all tested on animals.

I use Cascade Reptile Cleaning Disinfectant.
If its safe for my very delicate geckos I assume its ok for buns and their delicate skin. Its absolutely brilliant stuff!

I would point out though that while vinegar is excellent for dissolving wee marks etc and does have some disinfecting properties, it is not a substitute for a proper veterinary-grade disinfectant. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that it does kill some bacteria and viruses but it is nowhere near comprehensive. So while I'd say it's fine to use for cleaning and neutralising (and similarly for anti-bacterial products which, as the name suggests are anti-bacterial not necessarily anti-viral) it is not the thing to use on its own if you are aiming to sterilise the area - for instance to prevent cross-contamination between rabbits or in the event of illness :)

I agree with Santa, it shouldn't be used on it's own all the time, depends on what it's for. In my original post I mentioned that I also use conficlean as well for certain areas that need more attention.

I use vinegar/water as a regular cleaner. Anything that needs a good disinfecting gets either baby sterilising fluid (bowls bottles etc) or jeyes fluid (hutch etc). It needs to be well aired though.

Johnsons or white vinegar mostly. If things need more than that then they get sterilised in Milton fluid. Am interested about the disinfectant you use Santa, I know they have some vet-grade ones on Hay Experts - where do you get yours from?

Back