• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finished building chin cage! *chin pics p30*

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I took on two chins last summer from a friend who could no longer care for them. I was told they came with a cage – “Hooray!” thought I.
Turned out to be this:

1a.jpg

I really wanted them to have more space, so started looking for a new cage. There are some nice ones available but for the size I wanted, they were all way out of my price range.

So, given that I’m terrible at maths, have no woodworking experience and am notorious for not planning things through properly – I thought, why not build one myself? What follows is a lot of pictures of it in progress – skip to the bottom if you just want to see the finished cage!)

First – plan it all out carefully – not doing this has been my downfall in the past. As you can see I had to make a lot of modifications after the initial draft! I’ve designed it as big as possible within the space I had spare in my living room. It’s got big doors to get in for cleaning, and is divided into two halves with a ladder leading from one to the other. That way I can block them into the bottom half whiel I clean the top, and vice versa; and if I needed to I could separate the chins, eg if I wanted to monitor how well one was eating.

Crucially, make sure it’s small enough to fit through your doors. In my zeal to give the chins as much space as possible, I first made it too wide, and had to disassemble the side panels and take a bit off. It’s important that it goes through a door as I move it to a cooler room in summer.

The cost of wood and mesh was about £120, I spent a bit on brackets and screws, but already had hinges, bolts and doorhandles in stock. So quite a cheap cage for the size - it's about 140 x 120 x 80.

plans.jpg

Then – cut the wood to size and assemble the panels. Here is my “workshop” – yes, it’s a kitchen, and not a particularly big one. I think the biggest hindrance to this project was the lack of space, it made things really awkward.

3.jpg

I don’t have a workbench either – but these bricks worked pretty well!
A tip for those thinking of doing something like this – you can’t just put in a screw at each corner, the panels won’t be strong enough, and will flex when you pick them up. I didn’t realise this and had to make an extra trip to town to buy lots of corner brackets.

l.jpg

Covering them with weldmesh – 16g with ¾” holes as recommended by people on the chin forum. This was painful and time consuming. I ripped my hand open on a sharp edge of mesh and sprayed blood everywhere, which was fortunate because I realised how dangerous it could be for the chins, so I borrowed a file from work and ground all the edges smooth.

e.jpg

Then I needed to screw them all together, which is when I realised I don’t have twelve hands. I didn’t want to pay out for clamps, cos I’ll probably never use them again, so I went round the village begging to borrow them from people. Got quite a few! Another tip – ideally you should clamp it all together *before* you put the mesh on – that way you can check that everything fits together as it should, and it’s easier to make any changes. Then you can take it apart, mesh it, and clamp it back together again. I didn’t think of this till halfway through but luckily it wwas all ok.

6.jpg

Here is the half shelf in the bottom, and the supports for the main shelf in the middle.

h.jpg

These are the only screwed down bits of the middle shelf, the other pieces slot in tightly but lift out for easy cleaning.

i.jpg

I'm not 100% pleased with the shelves. They're made of planks rather than one solid piece, because I got given the wood free. It means there are little cracks where dirt will get trapped, but it also means it's easier to take them in and out for cleaning as they're lighter. I might redo them in future, or I might not.

It would have helped if I’d built it where it was intended to go. But I managed to drag it there anyway. Perfect fit!

j.jpg

And here it is! The top storey isn’t finished yet – there will be more shelves, hammocks etc, as most of it’s just wasted space at the moment. But it’s taken me just over a week to do this and I was losing the will to live! So it will be finished off when I have a bit of spare time. I can’t believe I thought it’d only take me three days *sigh*

It's just stood on a bit of plywood for now, I'm going to try to get a metal tray made for the bottom though. The tiny door on the bottom of the right side is for ease of exercising, I'm going to construct a passage from there to their play area so they can go in and out as they please.

015.jpg

Downstairs:
009.jpg

Upstairs:
010.jpg

They seem to really love it :) I put them in late last night and then stayed up for nearly three hours just watching them race around exploring everything.

So to sum up: my hands are ripped to shreds; my house is ankle deep in sawdust and mesh fragments; I’ve not had a cooked meal for a week; but it was totally worth it to see them so happy. Also for the massive ego boost – it’s probably silly but I’m really chuffed that I managed to complete this – my usual pastimes are things like embroidery and scrapbooking so I was a bit out of my comfort zone on this project!

Last edited:
I love the first picture of the old cage with your criticisms :lol::lol:

That is a fab cage - your one, not the old one!! You must be thrilled with it.

If you're looking for a custom-made metal tray, I got one for my rats cage from John Hopewell - he must get a lot of business from people that want metal trays for the Explorer, as an entire forum recommended him to me!!

http://www.johnhopewell.co.uk/

Unless of course you are planning on trying your hand at metal-work next!!

I love the first picture of the old cage with your criticisms :lol::lol:

That is a fab cage - your one, not the old one!! You must be thrilled with it.

If you're looking for a custom-made metal tray, I got one for my rats cage from John Hopewell - he must get a lot of business from people that want metal trays for the Explorer, as an entire forum recommended him to me!!

http://www.johnhopewell.co.uk/

Unless of course you are planning on trying your hand at metal-work next!!

Certainly not :lol: I will give John a ring, thanks :D

The previosu cage really :censored:s me off. :evil: It's too small for any medium/large animal like chins, but the bars are too far apart for it to be used for littl'uns like hamsters.

If anyone can think of any legitimate use for it, and can take it off my hands, please do - I want rid of it!

You have done a fantastic job. Perhaps you should start making them as a side line ;) As it certainly looks better than what is currently on the market for them.

You have done a fantastic job. Perhaps you should start making them as a side line ;) As it certainly looks better than what is currently on the market for them.

I would love to but don't think I could cope with the disruption to my house :lol: the reason I'm on RU now is because I'm putting off cleaning it....SO much sawdust :(

I stupidly went in a petshop the other day and they were selling a chin cage with a shelf about 12" above a wire floor - surely if they jumped off the shelf, it would cut their feet off - horrid :(

:shock:

You drew up plans and everything !!

BRILLIANT !! :D

That's because I've tried stuff in the past and just launched in without planning - always ends in tears :lol:

Captain Helen my friend gave me them ages ago - she said "have these, you're crafty" - I thought I'd never need them, but I was wrong!

happysaz133 they do, but there's so much of it I'm hoping it'll be a few years before it's completely ruined :lol: although I'm sure it won't look this pretty for long!

YAY!!!! :wave: xxx

Well 'bloomin done!! That looks absolutely brilliant. I've used mesh for various things in the past and it hurts like anything to work with - so eeepp you have my sympathies! :p

Chins' definitely need space and you've done them proud. :love:

(You could sell the old cage on ebay as a rat cage, by the way!)

Congratulations. Fab new home for them. Lovely Chins. Could we have some more pics of your chins please. Huge lover of chinchillas I have 3.:wave:

That's because I've tried stuff in the past and just launched in without planning - always ends in tears :lol:

Captain Helen my friend gave me them ages ago - she said "have these, you're crafty" - I thought I'd never need them, but I was wrong!

happysaz133 they do, but there's so much of it I'm hoping it'll be a few years before it's completely ruined :lol: although I'm sure it won't look this pretty for long!

Ah I didn't know. I don't know much about chins, just that they chew plastic!

Congratulations. Fab new home for them. Lovely Chins. Could we have some more pics of your chins please. Huge lover of chinchillas I have 3.:wave:

When they wake up later I'll try to get some pics of them trying out their new facilities :lol:

Ah I didn't know. I don't know much about chins, just that they chew plastic!

They chew EVERYTHING. Including plaster off walls. :lol:

YAY!!!! :wave: xxx

Well 'bloomin done!! That looks absolutely brilliant. I've used mesh for various things in the past and it hurts like anything to work with - so eeepp you have my sympathies! :p

Chins' definitely need space and you've done them proud. :love:

(You could sell the old cage on ebay as a rat cage, by the way!)

What bar spacing do rats need? These are 19mm apart, I thought maybe rats could squeeze through :? I don't know anything about rats though so could easily be wrong.

Back