• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EMERGENCY - bunny with bloat

SuzieBlue

Young Bun
Hi all, really hoping someone can give me advice here. Last night my boy bunny Nermal suddently became subdued and acted like he was in pain. He ate dinner fine but refused a treat a few hours later. I got him to the emergency vet at like 2am, who diagnosed stasis (said his gut felt soft butlike there was something moving around -though possibly some diarrhoea was on the way). He was given a painkiller and gut stimulant.
Overnight, Nermal was much the same. He had some water and a tiny bit of lettuce after I got him home, and hopped around a bit, but gradually became quieter and more uncomfortable looking.
Back to the vet this morning, who said his gut was very hard and bloated (which I felt myself when I lifted him into his carrier). I've been sent home with oral metcam should the need arise and metoclopramide, only to be used if he seems a bit happier later and will eat something. I also have fiberplex, which he won't take without a fight.
I've been warned the prognosis is not good, and I need to get him moving around and keep him warm, and hope he'll pass the gas naturally.
I'm in bits though, he's not moving much now and I honestly don't know what to do to keep him alive. I really need some advice from people with experience of getting a rabbit through bloat - so sorry for the long post but trying to get detail down. He's an absolute sweetheart and I can't bear to lose him. Help....

We nearly lost winston last year to bloat our vet couldn't believe it whe he pulled through. When our vet diagnosed him he was put on a drip for 3 days to keep his fluids up. We were told not to force feed him as you add to the blockage and could rupture his stomach. We were told to try anything we could to try and encourage hi to eat just leaving it our by him. Keep him warm and as much pineapple juice as he could take by himself though not forcing it in. Pineapple has a good bacteria in it which helps guts it also acts as a (forgot word) to reduce gut swelling/inflammation.
Also when you pick bun up try not to touch belly as its very tender and could rupture but every 30mins-hour get bun up and make them move so that the stomach doesnt stay in one place and to help push stuff through. (winnie was in hutch we used to bring him out onto rug and he would run back to his hutch) also give small massage to the stomach not pressing hard but just to encourage the movement of the guts.
They should have told you what meds to give as bun def needs pain relief winnie had his via drip/injections at vets. He was sent home at night (tbh to die as they didnt think he'd make it) but hes here to tell the tail!
Sending lots of love and healing your way!xxx

Sorry I don't have any advice for treating at-home, my bunny with bloat was admitted straight into the veterinary hospital when I took her to the vets :(

Sending you all the vibes in the world that Nermal starts to perk up x

Thank you so much. The last 12 hours or so have been awful!
I just gave Nerm a run round the hall there, I gently pushed him a bit and he hopped about for a couple of mins. I then gently rubbed his tummy and definitely felt some wind popping in there, so I'm sending a happy helper out for pineapple juice and I'll keep him warm and make him move about every so often. I felt really really negative when I got back from the vet, but i've decided that if I do everything i possibly can for him he'll have the best chance. If i lose him after that, at least I'll have tried my best and at least he had his last bit of time with undivided attention...
Any more thoughts/advice would be wonderful though!

Sending loads of vibes for your little one.

I have a little boy who is ill just now, and has now got bloat, with a load of tummy gas. He is very poorly :(. I am trying to get him to eat something, but I'm not having much luck.

Offer him some fresh herbs and similar, replacing them with fresh ones every couple of hours.

I really would NOT give Pineapple Juice. The sugar in it is far more likely to do harm than good in cases of bloat. This is because the sugars will 'feed' the 'bad' bacteria in the guts increasing the risk of a serious enterotoxaemia.

Has Nerm taken any fluids on board ? Fluids are an absolute essential and if he is not drinking then he needs fluids given subcutaneously or IV.
Will he tolerate taking fluids from a syringe ? If so some warm Peppermint Tea can be helpful.

Opiate analgesia is usually needed aswell as Metacam. Bloat is excruciatingly painful and Metacam is seldom enough to give adequate analgesic cover.

Woodwards Gripe Water, available in the Baby Section of most Supermarkets should help break up some of the gas. You can give 1ml/kg/hour.

Thanks again everyone. Ok, will get some gripe water - already have the pineapple juice but will hold off for the mo. My friend is currently using gripe water on her colicky baby, so fingers crossed...
Nermal had fluids today from the vet, as he had only a small amount to drink last night by himself. So he should be ok for that just now. I have peppermint tea too, so later on maybe I should put some of that out and see if he'll have it? Am about to give him another quick run in the hall. He looks so tired but I want to keep him moving.
He was given a stronger painkiller this morning too at the vet, not sure what it was (was on the verge of passing out I think..!) but the vet said it would make him a bit sleepy, so I'm guessing it was an opiate analgesia? The metacam is for me to use overnight if I think he needs it.
He's going back first thing even if he looks better to be honest - hopefully i can keep him going throughout the night. x

Ok, I gave Nerm some gripe water a short time ago, and he's had a snooze and a run up and down the hall. Now I think the right side of his tummy feels so much softer - almost normal, but his left is still hard. Is this a good sign? I have no idea! He's due more gripe water in about 15 mins, according to Jack's Janes calculations :) so will see how he goes with that. Still no interest in food though...

infacol....the stuff that is used for babies, I swear this saved my bun last year x

sending positive thoughts x

Hi just browsing the forum on my phone & saw this so it's just a quick reply having been through a very similar experience recently I know exactly how you feel it's a hopeless, helpless feeling & very hard not to get upset & expect fast results but it doesn't happen with bloat, try to be positive & calm & confident & let your bunny rest if he has had vetergesic as it made my doe very drowsy she had 100mls of fluids so I actually let her rest for about 6-7 hours while the pain relief was active, I would stick to dandelions fresh or dried, dill & carrot tops if the weather is ok tomorrow try putting him on grass to stimulate the bunny senses - I'm assuming there is no obstruction as your syringing - don't be alarmed if your bunny needs another metacam injection for painrelief as I understood it the oral version won't be as effective without movement in the gut & caecum I did syringe some warm cooled boiled water & a small bit of critical care but only after an X-ray to rule out obstruction first. My original thread is in health - offer a water bowl aswell as a bottle and try to be as normal as possible the stress really can affect this condition so a nice warm snugglesafe, few tempting things like carrot tops, dill, grass, dandelions bramble leaves if you can get some and a nice desk area to rest for a few hours lots of kisses and very gentle back rubs in a circular motion and fingers crossed, your doing all you can and your bun needs to help themselves aswell all the best of luck for you both x

Hi everyone, i want to thank you all for the really helpful and positive messages tonight, but Nermal died about 3 hours ago. I used gripe water, let him rest, made him move around, rubbed his back and his tummy and it just wasn't enough. He got more uncomfortable within the last hour or so before I called the vet, then really took a bad turn and seized up completely. He died as I was lifting his carrier out of the car and into the vet surgery.
I'm so sad but he had a great wee life and even though he was only 2, he lived it to the full. His last day was spent getting undivided attention, which he loved, so you can't ask for more than that.
Thanks again, I can't emphasis enough how much you all helped. xx

I am so sorry, you did your very best for him and clearly he knew how much he was loved *hug* I didn't want to say earlier, but the little girl I had with bloat didn't make it either... it's such a horrid thing :cry:

RIP little Nermal x

I am so terribly sorry to hear your bunny didnt make it.
It its a cruel way to lose a beloved bun, but take comfort you did every thing you could for him.

Back