• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril on banana

Colyflower

Alpha Buck
I've read other posts about varying ways of administering medications and one of them is putting it on some banana. Would baytril on a small piece of banana each morning for a week be ok to do especially if he hasn't had banana before or should I try something that he's eaten before?

I'd try it on a familiar food first.

Will he not co-operate with having the Baytril administered directly into his mouth via a syringe?

Great thanks Jane, it takes 2 or 3 attempts, he's quite squirmy even using the towel. He's not great with being handled and I was worried about stressing him out. I've had him a couple of weeks so we're still building up trust together so I wasn't sure if the food option was best way to go. I would prefer to syringe him like I did with Peanut as I was able to check the wound at the same time but he just springs out my hands when I touch anywhere near there. I'll keep trying though, last resort I'll try the baytril on a fenugreek crunchie instead.

What foods does he like? I found with crunchies that it just slid off and they can tell it's on there and ignore it. :roll:

Mixing it with something sweet works well to disguise the taste. It's very bitter apparently. The first time I was given it the vet nurse said to use Ribena. I always use apple juice myself as we never have any ribena!

I was thinking that a fenugreek crunchie would be a good idea as I know he likes these and has eaten them before, I'll keep going with the syringe though and see.

Ive had a nightmare with trying to syringe TJ this week and gave up.

I used tiny pieces of banana and apple and then put a small drop on each. Although grapes are not advised, I did use half a sliced grape to get it into him. It all worked out and he has improved.

Back