• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

General Anaesthetic Question

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
How many bunnies have you had that have had a GA (for anything) and recovered ok post op?

Badger-8 GAs- 1 neuter, 7 (I think) dentals, 5 of those whilst being very ill.

Sky-3 GAs- 1 neuter (Complicated neuter- undescended testicle), 2 dentals.

Star- 2 GAs- 1 neuter, 2 tear duct flush and skull x-ray.

Angel- 1 GA- 1 neuter and dental.

Wish- 2 GAs- 2 dentals, tear duct flushes and skull x-rays.

Flame- 1 GA- 1 'neuter' (hermaphrodite)

Autumn- 1 GA- 1 neuter

Roger- 1 GA- 1 neuter

Sandy- 4 GAs- 1 Spay, 3 dentals

Candyfloss- 1 GA- 1 Spay

Dusk- 5 GAs- 1 Neuter, 4 dentals

Dopeys (combines)- 7 GAs- 2 spays, 5 dentals

Lightning- 2 GAs- 1 neuter and dental, 1 dental

Sunny- 1 GA- 1 spay

Dawn- 2 GAs- 1 neuter, 1 dental

Hope- 3 GAs, 2 neuter, 2 dentals

And past bunnies

Tilly- 2 GAs- 1 spay (before coming to me), 1 dental (she had head tilt so was complicated)

Summer- 2 GAs- 1 spay (long recovery due to vet error), 1 lumpectomy,blood tests and x-ray.

Rosie- 2 GAs- 1 spay (before coming to me), 1 dental and spine x-rays

Hazel-Flare- 1 GA, 1 neuter

Fizz- 1 GA, 1 neuter (not done with me)

Cloud- 4 GAs- 1 neuter, 3 dentals (last dental done whilst liver failing and respiratory infection)

Ok, so in total we have had 56 GAs (off the top of my head) with no major or notable post operative issues.

How about you? Can we get a running total going? (thought this might help susiebun with some perspective).

Sky-O- 56 successful GAs

What a great idea!

Floppy - 1 GA neuter, 1 GA broken leg X-ray and splint

Millie - 1 GA spay

Foster bun is going for his neuter next week.

Total 3

Combined total so far 64

With me Bell had 1 GA for her spay, which went completely fine.
The others were done before I adopted them but none of them had any problems, so thats-
Walnut - 1 for his neuter
Cranberry - 1 for her spay
Pepsi - 1 for his neuter
Feebee - 1 for her spay

So thats 5 succesful GA's from me

64+5= 69

Approx 16 in total.

Homer - neutered, bladder sludge, "unkown" illness for investigations, about 6-7 dentals under GA (so approx 9-10 in total)

Katy - spayed (by RSPCA), blockage (x-rays under GA) (2 in total)

Cassie - spayed (1 in total)

My bridge bunnies:

Baby - emergency spay (came round from the op well but lost her to cancer a month later)

Bubba - 2 standard dentals (all OK) and a major op for eye and teeth removal. Unfortunately we lost him during the night after the op but I think it was more of a case he had given up and possibly our lack of knowlege as he was first bunny we had under GA. Wish I had known more that the time and would never have put him through it I don't think.:cry:

Total of rabbits I have/had = 6

All have been neutered - 5 were not in my care at the time - 1 was and she seemed to recover fine with no ill effects although I wasn't so knowledgeable about rabbits then so there might have been things I didn't pick up on.

Sorrel had multiple GAs for dental/abcess work, I think between 5 and 10 while she was with me, plus more before.

On almost every occasion she was fine afterwards and you couldn't tell she'd even had anaesthesia, she was wide awake and eating like a horse! On just on occasion she was sleepy afterwards and had no appetite, she had been kept overnight at the vets though due to staff shortage, so maybe the extra stress had affected her. She was fine again within 24 hours.

I'm estimating my total as 13 making the running total 103

I would also add that I've been helping at a rescue for about 18months, a LOT of neuters and dentals are performed, and I can only think of 2 post op problems.

If Sooz is still around, you might ask her about her statistics from when she ran a rescue - I can't remember exact numbers but I know that problems were exceptionally low compared to successes.

Dudley, Harry, Charlie, Wesley, Benji, Henry, Matilda all neutered without problems.

Heather - dental under GA, no problem.

Santa had repeated GAs for her dental/tear duct problems, including some while she was pretty poorly with snuffles. There was one occasion where we delayed the dental because her snuffles was so bad but then her eating slowed down so we had to go ahead and do it anyway a few days later. She always bounced back fine. I would estimate she had about 8 in the time I had her.

So that adds 16.

Running total 119

My 4 had a GA for their visit to the Plum Fairy. Butters went into stasis after, but the other 3 recovered fine.

Blackie has had 3 dental GAs (another due this week, by the look of it)

That's 7 for us :)

This is a great idea! It really does help us all to get things in perspective :D

Running total 119 + 7= 126

Honey has had 1 say, 4 eye ops - 5

Bracken 1 spay

Blue 1 neuter

Dizzee Rascal 1 neuter

Florence 1 spay/

126 + 9 = 135

Mae has had atleast 2 if not 3 (I would have to ask Tracy) Spey and Tooth Removal (while in rescue) and a Dental + blood test (with me)
Sebastian has had 1 for his neuter whilst with me

so thats 3

135+3=138

Sooty's had one for neutering, four dentals and one for some stitches he had. So six in total

638 + 6 = 644

Pipkin has had about 5, 1 for neuter and the others for dentals.
Ruby had a GA when spayed, but that was at the rescue before she came to me. As far as I know there were no complications.

So 6 from me?

Interesting!

Mischa - 3 (1 neuter, 1 dental, 1 x-ray)
Mini - 2 (1 spay and xray done together under one GA, 1 operation to repair dislocated hip joint)
Nutmeg - 1 (1 spay)
Smudge - 1 (1 neuter)

So 7 - no issues. :thumb: All mine ate after as well.

658 (I make it) + 7 = 665

Bungee Bun = 10 (spay and 10 dentals)
Artie = 2 - 1 neuter, 1 bladder surgery
Scratty never had a GA as I was too scared to put her through it - it's a huge regret.
Esme = 2 - one attempt at spay (aborted due to bad reaction to anaesthetic on going under, but absolutely fine, great recovery.)
2nd was successfully spayed with no problems.
Rudy and Tink came to me already neutred. Rudy has also had another GA for a dental - no problems.
Elijah - GA for neuter and tear duct flush.
Erin (already spayed)
River (foster bun - GA for spay)
Binky and Shadow = 2 neuters and tear duct flushes.

So, I think (unless I've missed anyone) - I've put buns through 19 GAs with only one slight hiccup, all recovered well.

665 + 19 = 684

Edit to add - I did miss someone :cry::cry: Little Dot. She was also spayed so my total was 20. Then I lost her to a blockage but I don't count her as having died under GA but having died from a blockage.

Last edited:
Back