• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which Hutch?

Reward

New Kit
Hi i am new to the forum and searching for advice, i am going to be getting two mini lops at the end of march and have been searching for a hutch online for a while.

these are the ones i have spotted

this one thou i am not sure there would be enough living space

this is this too many hidden away rooms?
this

this

there is so much to consider i am finding it a bit overwhelming, i do plan on having a run but as i work full time i wouldnt want to leave them out alone in the day

any advice would be appreciated

thanks

They are all too small I'm afraid, you want a 6 foot long one by 2 foot high and 2 foot deep with an attached run.

http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/rabbit-hutch-and-run-combinations.php

This company sells bigger hutches. They look pretty good quality but I haven't needed to buy one yet - my four live in the house. ;)

My french lop is a big rabbit and I wouldn't put her in a cage - even the ones that say suitable for large rabbits. She wouldn't have enough space to stand on her back legs and be nosey!! If she goes out during the summer, she will have a play house and run. ;)

I have barely found any 6ft hutches and the rare ones i have say for large rabbits

They are out there. I don't have one as mine are house rabbits but maybe start a thread asking for recommendations?

They shouldn't say for large rabbits. Large rabbits need more space. 6x2x2 is the minimum for a pair of small breed rabbits.

http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/rabbit-hutch-and-run-combinations.php

This company sells bigger hutches. They look pretty good quality but I haven't needed to buy one yet - my four live in the house. ;)

My french lop is a big rabbit and I wouldn't put her in a cage - even the ones that say suitable for large rabbits. She wouldn't have enough space to stand on her back legs and be nosey!! If she goes out during the summer, she will have a play house and run. ;)

sorry which one?

i have been looking at them but i wasnt sure if having a live in run at the bottom is a good idea or not

yeah i looked at that but thought in the winter they wouldnt really have much room in just the top bit.

yeah i looked at that but thought in the winter they wouldnt really have much room in just the top bit.

If they are outdoor rabbits all year around they will probably spend more time in their run than in their cage! You could make a cover to go over the top of the run to stop them getting wet. ;)

Hello and welcome :wave:

Everyone is right - the bigger the better for a hutch.

It can be more difficult to find a large hutch and run but it really is necessary. Think of it as an investment - your rabbits will hopefully live a long and happy life from 10 to 12 years so you really want something suitably sized and strong enough to withstand all those winters outside - as well as being preditor proof. There are many small flimsy hutches on the market that really are only fit for the bonfire.

Many people adapt a play house, shed or bike store if they are a bit handy with their hands and this can be a very economic way to get a great home for your pets. The added bonus with a playhouse or shed is that you can sit in with your pets to spend time with them whatever the weather.

I have a 6 x 8 aviary style base for my rabbits which cost about £250 - they have a hutch inside too for night-time.

Do have a look around the site - perhaps using the search facility and you will find fine examples of rabbit accomodation.

With a hutch and run combo you can sit the run on a raised marine ply base, covered with lino and newspaper and bedding, and add a sloping corrolux roof to keep everything dry so they whole area is usable whatever the weather!

sorry which one?

i have been looking at them but i wasnt sure if having a live in run at the bottom is a good idea or not

The sykes combo (hutch with run under) in the largest size - 6ftx 2ft. :D:D

I think an attached run is so much easier and there is no reason why they can't have access to the run all day then while you are out (you would need to have the hutch/run on a hard surface though so that nobunny can tunnel their way out and predators can't dig in).

As with most hutches, there aren't any locks on this so you would need to add some yourself. ;)

Sadly, many shops are still blissfully unaware of how much space bunnies actually need and there are so many inadequate hutches still for sale. :( A hutch/run of the above size is the minimum for a pair of mini lops.

There is a very similar one to the happy hutch which others have recommended - I can't remember the make :oops: but I know that Bunny Buddy has one. If you drop her a PM, I'm sure she'd glady send you the link. :D

You can use a tarpaulin across the roof, sloping down onto the run. :) Not a fantastic photo but hopefully you get the idea. Then they can have access to the run in all weathers. :D

DSCF6576700x525.jpg

Thanks for the advice So if I got a single 6th one it would be ok but if I got a 2tier 4ft or 5ft it wouldn't be ok?

U can see why I'm cOnfused lol

A single 6ft hutch on its own wouldn't be enough - you would really need a run too. :) A double 5ft would be ok but, again, would still need an attached run.

People tend to go for the single 6ft though (rather than a smaller two tier) as a lot of space is taken up by the ramp.

It's all about usable space really.

A 5' double might be ok so long as it is good and deep - 2.5 or 3' (some are less than 2') and the ramp is positioned so as not to take up a lot of room but it wouldn't be enough on its own it would still need a run.

Bunnies like to bomb around, jump about and "binky" so plenty of room is required.

You need to consider height (headroom) too. Buns like to sit up on top of things to keep a good look out. Mine have shelves in their runs and childrens plastic chairs and tables in their aviary. They need to have room to sit up on their back legs and stretch up "periscoping".

Check out your local RSPCA branch as some offer great sturdy 6 x 3 hutches at very reasonable prices with runs to attatch too.

Back