• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoor bun owners, what do you line their cages with?

shell1805

Mama Doe
:wave:

ive always lined the buns cages with wood shavings :oops: (which im now realising isnt right) but i cant use mats etc as bella will pee all over them.

what should i be using and could i see pics :)

xx

xx

my pair are on carpet and then to protect the landlords carpet i use duvet covers on the floor ontop of the carpet.

they have one large litter tray and in that is newspaper and hay

a small area of thier room
IMAG0003-1.jpg

I just line mine with several sheets of newspaper - the broadsheets are best - & then each day I peel off the top sheet & throw it away. Toby uses a corner litter tray filled with catoilet.

see they both have litter trays outside there 'bases' but when i shut them away they are then on wood shavings and im worried about the reprecussions of that.i dont want them to get any breathing issues. could i line it all with straw??

x

180551_1903512946170_1192116864_2303345_3161301_n.jpg

Just newspaper then a towel :) tils is litter trained so she keeps the towel really clean!

see bella is litter trained but she will pee on any mat/towel put in her cage. she also de threads them and im scared she will swallow the loose fluff :?

Tils did this to her bed once,i took it away and put a towel down and shes fine on them now ! she does bunch up the one in her cage, but then she relises shes has to sleep on newspaper so some how un bunches it ha! i just let her get on with it !

180058_1878868010062_1192116864_2256182_3566646_n.jpg

The floor is lino, then they have blankets and (atm) newspaper and hay in their trays. Tis a bit of an experiment, usually they have megazorb and hay in the trays but Nutmeg keeps churning it up by digging.

_IGP1660-vi.jpg

The floor is lino, then they have blankets and (atm) newspaper and hay in their trays. Tis a bit of an experiment, usually they have megazorb and hay in the trays but Nutmeg keeps churning it up by digging.

_IGP1660-vi.jpg

how are you curtains still in tacked ha! tilly chews any fabris item if its hanging haa x

how are you curtains still in tacked ha! tilly chews any fabris item if its hanging haa x

They've always ignored them! I was certain they wouldn't as they go on the ottoman AND on the window sill but they just aren't interested :thumb: My old ones didn't survive thanks to Mischa. The ones in my room have a few holes in where Mini would pull them into the dog crate to have a chew. Now the dog crate has gone they ignore those too.

At the moment Olly's cage has newspaper on the floor with lots of hay at one end where he goes to the toilet. On top of the paper everywhere else is a fleece blanket, and on the platform where he sleeps there is another fleece blanket with vetbed on top :) Honey lives on carpet and sleeps on fleece blankets/vetbed. :wave:

Mine don't have a cage, they have full use of a carpeted conservatory.

I use the 48" metal base from a dog crate to hold their litter trays and food/water bowls - that catches any stray wee and bits of hay etc, and I just put small carpets over my carpet in the areas they sleep the most.

In my original indoor cage I had vet bed but she seems to prefer sleeping/sitting on hard surfaces not soft, weird bun? I've tried newspaper but she just shredded it and ate most of it. In my NIC cage I have a correx base that's lined with carpet tiles, she doesn't like slippery surfaces:roll:. So far the tiles have been fine and it's quite easy and cheap to just replace any of them if needs be which I've not had to do yet. She has other boxes of hay/carefresh in the cage for litter and digging and a baby blanket in case she does want to sit on something soft.

Currently I use a mat, it's a machine washable rubber backed one. My concern is that he was fine with it for a while, now he bites it apart all the time. He's been doing this for a while and I keep clearing up the bits. The trouble is, he won't walk on newspaper and he slips and slides the whole time with just hay, straw makes him sneeze.

Any other bright ideas for me too? I do have a new mat that I could put in, but he's wreaked the current one and I don't know if he'll just do the same.

Oh, and I have similar bit bigger (and bright coloured) mats in his run but he doesn't seem to care about these ones. Strange bunny!

I bought one of those washable rubber mats too! Even though I know she has a thing for rubber :lol: second day it was in the cage it was nibbled so I pulled it out, all that's left is carpet tiles, washable surfaces obviously aren't her thing :lol:

:wave: carpet and stick-on lino tiles from the pound shop for the floor, then blankets. I used to use newspaper but it got all torn up and eaten.

If you want something woodshaving-ish, why not just change over to megazorb and use it how you use the shavings? You can reuse the stuff lining the floor in the litter trays.

Cardboard... He's had hock problems so needs something a bit softer, but he was eating the foam mats.
Cardboard works well coz when he ripps it up, I can just pop round the corner shop and get a few boxes for free!

Back