• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Redcurrant, Blackberry, Rasberrry

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
:wave: Are all of these OK for bunnies to eat - fruit and leaves?

My sis bought them for me (well for the bunnies) and just want to know they are OK before they get into their reach. They need planting so do I need anything special , do they spread (I am not much of a gardener :oops:)

Blackberrys are - in fact Im off to Bobbys tomorrow to steal some from her garden not sure about the others sorry.

:wave: Yeah, I thought blackberries were. We have lots of hawthorn (other side of fence) which I recently read is OK but I am always worried in case it is the "right one".

These were in a pack of 3 that my sister bought me from Aldi or Lidl for £2.69.

:wave: Yeah, I thought blackberries were. We have lots of hawthorn (other side of fence) which I recently read is OK but I am always worried in case it is the "right one".

These were in a pack of 3 that my sister bought me from Aldi or Lidl for £2.69.

I would grow them anyway you can always make nice jams or pies.

I put an ad on freecycle for apple and hawthorn branches last summer and someone gave me a huge boxful it was great.

Im sure your lot are better behaved but my lot go nuts over bramble and eat the whole thing thirns included in a matter of seconds :roll:

The leaves and stems are fine for bunnies. The fruit contains sugar so best if you eat them.

Rasperries will grow upright on their own. Get to 5 or 6' tall and will form a clump which gets bigger over the years. Cut old canes back to ground level after fruiting. Give them to the buns.

Blackberry or bramble is a climbing / creeping bush so needs some support or it will ramble all over the ground. A few bamboo canes tied into a trellis or wigwam works well, as would a fence.

Redcurrant / white currant / blackcurrant form quite big bushes 5' x 5' so leave plenty of room. May take a year or 2 to get much fruit but then there's no stopping them. Prune when it gets too big - about a third of old branches taken out every autumn or early spring.

When I cut my bushes back last year, I did it a bit earlier before the leaves turned yellow, dried them and stored in paper carriers for winter. Still using them now. Saved a fortune.

The leaves and stems are fine for bunnies. The fruit contains sugar so best if you eat them.

Rasperries will grow upright on their own. Get to 5 or 6' tall and will form a clump which gets bigger over the years. Cut old canes back to ground level after fruiting. Give them to the buns.

Blackberry or bramble is a climbing / creeping bush so needs some support or it will ramble all over the ground. A few bamboo canes tied into a trellis or wigwam works well, as would a fence.

Redcurrant / white currant / blackcurrant form quite big bushes 5' x 5' so leave plenty of room. May take a year or 2 to get much fruit but then there's no stopping them. Prune when it gets too big - about a third of old branches taken out every autumn or early spring.

When I cut my bushes back last year, I did it a bit earlier before the leaves turned yellow, dried them and stored in paper carriers for winter. Still using them now. Saved a fortune.

:wave: Thank you for that information. I have the pack of 3 unplanted yet :oops: Not sure which one is which but as they all appear to be OK for bunnies it probably won't matter. I don't like fruit, only really wanted them for the bunnies to enjoy the leaves and stems :D

Back