• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

a poorly eric :( u/d bit better but...

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
he binkied like mad this morning for his breakfast (dried leaves), scoffed it really quickly and has made himself poorly :(

lay down, changed position, hopped in and out of the tray (wee's but no poo's) so i gave him a bit of metacam, a tummy rub and some infacol.

i had to go out for a couple of hours - unplanned and rather rushed:( - but now i'm back, he's had a look around and a nibble on a bit of his veg. he'd eaten his half a dozen pellets whilst i was out too.

he's been in his tray again but no poo:?.

so, is it possible for them to cause themselves discomfort by eating too quickly? if so, am i doing the right thing with the tummy rubs etc? he's not looking uncomfortable at the moment - hence the reason i haven't rushed him to the vets.

how often should i give metacam and/or infacol?

Last edited:
Poor Eric, it'd good that he's eating though. Am afraid I can't really advise anymore but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can. I often wonder if they can make themselves ill by eating too quick, Milly troughs food like it's her last meal sometimes!

Vibes for Eric :love:

thank you.

the other thing is that i went out for a meal last night - i made sure he'd eaten before i went and left the light and the tv on for him:oops: he was very glad to see me after a couple of hours but i know that eric tends not to eat when i'm not in:?

just had another tummy rub and a couple of drops of infacol. his lower tum feels a bit firm:?

rubbish time of day to be checking on a bun really as he's usually asleep but i know he's not pooped.

i've put some wet carrot tops on his tray but he's gone into hiding again now.

he had a bit of dried poo on his bum - very unusual for eric.

Oh dear, sorry Eric is poorly. :( Spenser used to gobble his veg at a truly alarming rate, but it never did him any harm. Now nibbling and picking has become more normal for him. Sending pooping vibes for Eric.:love: xx

I'd try to get some fluids into him. Will he tolerate being given fluids via syringe ?

no jane, sadly not. i've given him wet veg but he always waits until his veg is dry before he eats it anyway.

i've got him moving around at last though - change his environment and he needs to explore. hoping that'll get his guts moving.

i swear its payback for me daring to have an evening out:?

theres been a few times Alvin has gobbled food like theres no tomorrow then a few hours later hes in total shut down :? i wonder if being greedy sods makes them take in too much air which then gets trapped in the tummy. ill have to ask my new vet if its possible when we are next there.

sending loads of vibes xxxxx

Its a difficult one to call with such a stressy bun as vet trips usually stop him eating at the best of times, hence why I'm doing my utmost at home. I've left him for a while now as the checking and tummy rubs have made him stamp and leg it every time I move.

What's the next step? Pellet mush? Metacam and more rubs or the emergency vet? Really hope it doesn't come to that as when esme was in stasis last year, they gave her baytril ...

Its a difficult one to call with such a stressy bun as vet trips usually stop him eating at the best of times, hence why I'm doing my utmost at home. I've left him for a while now as the checking and tummy rubs have made him stamp and leg it every time I move.

What's the next step? Pellet mush? Metacam and more rubs or the emergency vet? Really hope it doesn't come to that as when esme was in stasis last year, they gave her baytril ...

Personally (only what I would do) I'd try the pellet mush and metacam before the vets if he doesn't look uncomfortable.

But you know Eric better than anyone else, and know when he really needs the vets.

oh eric, mummy deserves a night out once in a while, you stroppy bum! I think she's learnt her lesson by worrying all day, have some poops now please, or auntie Libby will be very cross :no:

what i do..... No1 my vet said im not allowed to panic :lol: she told me i have to give the drugs atleast 12 hours to do their magic, so bascially a day if i find him in the morning or overnight if i find him off his grub at evening time.

so i give the metacam and gripe water and chase him around alot.

i then leave him for an hour

when i go back more gripe water, water by syringe and loads more chasing

then i leave him for two more hours.

i keep repeating the gripe water, chasing and normal water for as long as it takes until the metacam kicks in enough to get him eating again. i also annoy his face with hay until he takes it in a strop and eats it just to get me to go away!!

i dont know how to feel for a blockage so i never syringe feed food unless the vet has given me the ok to do so.

if Alvin loses his fiestyness, stops grooming after ive meddled with him or isnt eating by morning then i take him to the vets to get them to give him a fluids injection.

a blip usually lasts about 3-5 hours before hes totally normal again, full on stasis can take days to get him back to normal but by the time its full stasis the vet is involved anyhows.

Alvin is allowed metacam 2x a day but ive never needed to give more than one dose in a 24hour period to get him to nibble

you know all this tho hun if eric is a stasis bunny, your breaking rule no.1 your panicing too soon :(

eta - ive also stopped the panic of poop watch.. as long as food is going into him it will come out after about 8 hours normally when his gut stops.

Last edited:
Think you're right donna. Thinking 'what if' I don't get him to the vet tho... suppose I'm expecting too much too soon. Just found out my real vet is open til half 5 tho.

He was so excited for his breakfast today.

Back