• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gastritis..

nicoleferniex

Warren Scout
Hi guys, i done a post 2 evenings ago about how my bun was poorly and updated it about what the vet said and gave him. after some research on google im thinking its gastritis (excuse the spelling)..was just wondering if anyone else has been through this and could chat too me about it as im getting myself awfully worried and scared he wont make it..

thanks for any help ...

Nicole Zak + Ziggy xx

Gastritis is a very broad 'diagnosis' and basically indicates inflammation within the GI tract. In Rabbits this can be due to a number of issues. What treatment has your Vet prescribed and what symptoms is your Rabbit displaying ?

Gastritis is a very broad 'diagnosis' and basically indicates inflammation within the GI tract. In Rabbits this can be due to a number of issues. What treatment has your Vet prescribed and what symptoms is your Rabbit displaying ?

sorry i meant gastointestinal stasis.. he has been given a gut stimulant to try and kick start his gut to make him eat and an antibiotic in case of any infection, so far all he is eating is carrot and mint but id rather that than nothing, dont know what to do to try and make him eat, its been less than 24 hours since we started him on this so fingers crossed he will pick up .. his symptons are loss of intrest in food and fluids, extremely runny poops, hunched in a ball, very lethargic.

sorry i meant gastointestinal stasis.. he has been given a gut stimulant to try and kick start his gut to make him eat and an antibiotic in case of any infection, so far all he is eating is carrot and mint but id rather that than nothing, dont know what to do to try and make him eat, its been less than 24 hours since we started him on this so fingers crossed he will pick up .. his symptons are loss of intrest in food and fluids, extremely runny poops, hunched in a ball, very lethargic.

Has he had PAIN RELIEF ?? This is an absolute ESSENTIAL as a Rabbit in pain will not eat.

If he has diarrhoea and is not drinking then he should be receiving ongoing fluid therapy- subcutaneous or IV. Rabbits can dehydrate VERY quickly.

How Rabbit savvy is your Vet ? Was admission to Hospital for intensive treatment not suggested ?

Personally I would contact the Vet again today as the symptoms you describe are extremely worrying, especially if your Rabbit is still very young.

Has he had PAIN RELIEF ?? This is an absolute ESSENTIAL as a Rabbit in pain will not eat.

If he has diarrhoea and is not drinking then he should be receiving ongoing fluid therapy- subcutaneous or IV. Rabbits can dehydrate VERY quickly.

How Rabbit savvy is your Vet ? Was admission to Hospital for intensive treatment not suggested ?

Personally I would contact the Vet again today as the symptoms you describe are extremely worrying, especially if your Rabbit is still very young.

the vet didnt think he needed pain relief altho we did ask for some.. at the moment he is on syringe fed recovery food..he will take from his bottle at times but i am making sure he is getting enough fluids..my vet has been used for all our animals altho this was zaks very first visit to the vet but the vet seems like he has good knowledge of rabbits..

just as i wrote earlier i went upto check on my 2 buns and zak was nibbling at hay, wasnt much but its a start

Hey:wave: I don't want this to come out rude, just a bit distracted at the mo:oops:

Just because your vet is good with other animals doesn't make them good with rabbits. My last vet was dreadful with rabbits but good with horses:oops: Rabbits are utterly different to any other animal, in so many different ways.

A good rabbit savvy vet will ALWAYS give pain relief to buns:)

If you put a new thread up in rabbit chat, asking for a rabbit savvy vet in your area then you should get some good ideas.

Is your rabbit eating and pooing now?

Loads of luck:)

Hey:wave: I don't want this to come out rude, just a bit distracted at the mo:oops:

Just because your vet is good with other animals doesn't make them good with rabbits. My last vet was dreadful with rabbits but good with horses:oops: Rabbits are utterly different to any other animal, in so many different ways.

A good rabbit savvy vet will ALWAYS give pain relief to buns:)

If you put a new thread up in rabbit chat, asking for a rabbit savvy vet in your area then you should get some good ideas.

Is your rabbit eating and pooing now?

Loads of luck:)

im trusting my vet and found out there is a pain relief given in his antibiotic to be taken twice daily.. he is now pooing yes and eating but not eating loads.. im more happy that he actually is eating.. still getting his science recovery food at the moment :p fingers crossed things are improving.. also been checking his stomach to make sure there is no bloating as i just read a post about someone who lost her bunny a couple hours due to this..

If you have transport and wanted to have a second opinion pm me and I can give you the address of my vet. They are in Muirhead on the north side. I have found them great with the rabbits. Hope you wee one is a bit more comfortable and settled.

Back