• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

shed and run combo - help/ideas

Right im half way there with my savings for a shed. Planning on a 6x4, possibly a 6x8 if i can get away with it, but i doubt it.

Anyway, my parents would prefer that it goes on the grass, down the side of the house behind the shed we already have. Will it be ok for the run to go straight onto the grass or do i need something to sit it on?

If i use paving slabs, can i just put them all together straight on top of the grass or do i need to lay something underneath them? It would be easier if i can just put the run on the grass and attach it to the shed, but i would imagine it would get really muddy and dirty.

I know i need a shed base, but what is the cheapest way to do it? My parents shed has some black plastic under the paving slabs, is this really necessary? Ive seen a good base on ebay, i think it was "eco" something, looked pretty good and didnt need anything underneath it. It would be so much easier if it could go by the conservatory, but parents say it will be an eye sore :shock:

Okie Doke.

Does anyone know if a 6x4 shed will be big enough to split in half and divide between the rabbits and guinea pigs? This would mean the buns only have the same space they would have had in a conventional hutch, which isnt really what i wanted. Might alse be aukward to stand inside the shed cleaning out 2x6/3x4 sections :lol:

BUT the guinea pigs will be better off and dad wont be able to complan that their set up makes the garden look untidy. :roll:

you could try and build a custom made hutch into the shed. like the end opposite the door. So that it's three/four tier with an apex shelf right at the top for storage, guinea pigs don't need much heigh, (im unsure if she stand on their hind legs but they're not that tall even if they do) so they have two 4ft x 2.ft tiers joined together, storage space on top and you can have the bottom bit the snuggle/hay area for your buns?

I have a 6ft x 5ft shed that once housed my group of 4 bunnies. They had a fall out so I had to split it. I split it across the middle of the smaller length so each pair has a 5ftx3ft section which works out slightly more square foot than a 6ft hutch. The extra ft makes a difference if you can get slightly bigger. I have a permanent wooden divide with a mesh panel on top of it that I remove to feed and clean so I can step over. Hope that makes sense.

Back