• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit health

Dizzy1

New Kit
Hi all,

Has anyone ever heard of E- cullini (i think that's spelt correctly), well my Bear has just been diagnosed with it, basicaly last week i was playing with her when i noticed a white dot on the centre of her eye, i took her to the vet immediatly and she now has to undergo a 4 week course of 2 injections a week along with 28 day course of laprizole (white milky medication to be taken orally) -the vet seems to think that i have caught it quickly and aiming to throw it into reversal, the only thing i need to watch out for is head titling, but she didnt show any signs of being ill which is concerning she has and is still her usual sparky/cheeky self.
I got a fright as this seemed to appear from no where.

I have another question, Bear is still getting used to being handled and on a daily baisis her trust in me is building, so as i need to give her Lapizole daily i have been injecting into a small peice of banana each day - in which she is taking but it's hard to tell if she is getting the full does - any ideas in how else i can her this?

There are lots of people on the forum with buns that have been diagnosed with E cuniculi. It is linked to a wide range of symptoms, including cataracts, head tilt, paralysis, hind leg weakness, tremors, kidney problems and incontinence. It doesn't always cause problems though- maybe rabbits are infected but don't show and symptoms at all. Also, just because your rabbit's eye may be affected it doesn't mean the she will go on to have other problems.

This link will tell you a bit more about it:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/ecuniculi.htm

Wrapping your bunny in a towel and squirting the lapizole gently into the side of her mouth just behind the front teeth is the surest way of making sure she gets the full dose, but lots of us cheat and hide it in food. You just need to be careful you aren't giving too much banana as it may upset her tummy. Personally I prefer to use panacur rather than lapizole because the volume you have to give is smaller so it is easier to disguise in food. Some people squirt it into a mini shredded wheat or wrap it in basil leaves- whatever works best.

To prevent her reinfecting herself it is recommended that you clean her cage and environment with a 10% bleach solution and rinse. Carpets can be steam cleaned instead xx

I think that the post above sums it up:D:D I have several buns - with varying symptoms - Some with cataract and kidney problems, others very very mild wobbles, one with seizures etc. They all live happy lives and are treated on a regular basis with either Lapizole or Panacur. Panacur is a much smaller dose, but Lapizole is apparently yummy!! Mine eat it mixed with banana flavour baby food!

Thanks Guys, I clean out Bear's cage twice a week with rabbit disinfectant and hot water. She has been back at the vet today for her injections and the Vet is really happy with her progress:)

but Lapizole is apparently yummy!! Mine eat it mixed with banana flavour baby food!

That's interesting and i might give that a go, do you the jar stuff - what brand do you use?

Back