• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

skirting/door protection

CDW

Warren Scout
I have two indoor bunnies who are really destructive! I'm hoping over the next few months to get everywhere painted and tidied up a bit. Can anyone suggest anything I can put over skirting boards, the bottom of door frames and the bannisters of the stairs to protect them?

What do others use indoors to protect furniture etc?

Thanks!

PS - is it okay to do painting in a house with bunnies there, as long as they are not in the room that's being done and provided there is plenty of ventilation?

Firstly are they neutered? And do they free-range all the time or do they get shut away part of the day?

Your best bet for the skirting will probably be NIC panels. You can sometimes find these on ebay or amazon or B&Q and Wickes sometimes do them. Usually they call them mesh storage cubes.

I use them to protect some of the woodwork and cables.

_IGP0565-vi.jpg

perspex pannels cut top size are good as they dont look like "pet destruction stoppers" like a lot of things you can pick perspex up in diy stores in various sizes and i think in b &q they will cut it for you too?! hosepipe painted whatever colour to match works well for wires too xx

Thank you both! Will look out for perspex/NIC panels. Hosepipe is also a great idea (thank you) although my two love to chew rubber!

They are both neutered - both females - they were separated at eight weeks old because of fighting. We are planning on trying to put them back together soon. Current set up is they have half of the spare room each with a puppy pen separating them. They are never ever locked in a cage. Room door is closed at night but otherwise they get alternating time out of the room through the day and night to run around freely. They've got loads of toys, sticks to chew on, cats to bully etc, but they still do like a wee nibble of the skirting board, door frame :lol:

Maybe that's why they're so destrucitve, because they get bored alone, hopefully when they bond they won't need to entertain themselves by destroying furniture.
But for the time being protect your furni hope I helped :D

Thank you both! Will look out for perspex/NIC panels. Hosepipe is also a great idea (thank you) although my two love to chew rubber!

They are both neutered - both females - they were separated at eight weeks old because of fighting. We are planning on trying to put them back together soon. Current set up is they have half of the spare room each with a puppy pen separating them. They are never ever locked in a cage. Room door is closed at night but otherwise they get alternating time out of the room through the day and night to run around freely. They've got loads of toys, sticks to chew on, cats to bully etc, but they still do like a wee nibble of the skirting board, door frame :lol:

Smudge was like that before he was bonded and given free-range time all the time. It sounds like they have lots of space though. With him it was kinda 'you don't let me have this area all the time so I'm a-gonna chew it!'

Thanks Schuette. Yes also with my two, the destructiveness is when they are out running freely, not when they are confined to the room (and in fact it's one bunny in particular).

They have a lot of space, and a lot to stimulate them. Plus I always make sure they have loads of hay to chew on.

They've grown up with the cats, and they often lie next to the cats in the hall. Plus, I work from home so am here all day with them, and am frequently in and out checking on them. So they get plenty of company. The bunnies sit next to each other, side by side, at the puppy pen and groom each other through the bars (which is why we are hoping we might be successful in re-bonding them), so I don't think they are lonely as such...

Here is a picture of their current space:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=217609

Yeah after payday (next week) we're going to go out and buy a new pen for downstairs, new trays etc and move them down to a neutral space to see if we can bond them. If it works out, I'll get the room repainted, recarpeted, some bunny proofing adjustments made and then (fingers crossed) they would go back in there together and have the entire room for both of them. But they would also have free run of the upstairs all day and night, from around 8am to 12am and only confined to 'their' room when we are sleeping. That's the plan anyway...

Back