• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone feed their rabbits on a "no pellet" diet?

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
Anyone who reads my threads will know that I'm 16 and rely on a teenagers wages to pay for my rabbits, and am currently saving up for two spay surgeries.

Their food costs me a fortune... but I've recently found a really good quality and cheap hay company, and because my two girls are such fab hay eaters I'm thinking of weaning them onto a hay only (plus their normal fresh foods) diet. They only have about 10 excel pellets a day, so I don't think it will be a huge adjustment for them.

Has anyone else done this? Do the rabbits maintain a healthy weight on a hay/fresh only diet? :wave:

prettylupin's bunnies are on a no pellet diet :thumb: As is fluffiebunnie's Twinkle. :thumb:

prettylupin's bunnies are on a no pellet diet :thumb: As is fluffiebunnie's Twinkle. :thumb:

Ahh awesome:)

Obviously it would be cheaper for me to only be feeding one of them pellets (Benji), but I'm more concerned about the health benefits.

ebony was on a no pellet diet somewhere on this forum is a book you can down load and it contains all the free food you can find around you i think it was on the medivet website

Twinkle has been on a hay only diet since November, due to excessive caecal dysbiosis ... she cannot tolerate any food other than hay.

She has improved in condition drastically and has even put on weight since her tummy has stabilised on hay only. My vet says he is happy for her to eat hay only too.

She lives with Sparkle, who I sneak pellets to, when I go out to see them, he has become more friendly feeding this way too so that is a bonus!

If you want more info, please see my thread for a diary of Twinkle's change of diet...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=255659

I only feed pellets in the winter as I don't feel they need pellets in the summer as they have plenty of hay, fresh grass, can nibble my rabbit safe plants (trhough the fences I have put up to stop them eating the whole lot!) and also have their normal veg plus I try and get them apple branches and brambles when I can.

Yes, in my opinion it's a lot healthier and more beneficial for them to have a no pellet diet.
Rabbits' GI tracts are very similar to horses and the only reason people feed horses is to add condition or if the horse is in levels of work. Horses are athletes and need the extra boost, bunnies most certainly don't! :lol:
:wave:

No - I was thinking about it a while ago as my buns are such great hay eaters and are terribly spoilt by me, with veg, treat hays, dried leaves etc most days, but I was advised against it on here because the pellets have vits etc the buns need that I may not be able to monitor that they are getting....

Also, if you do decide to do this, I would get some bunny-friendly weighing scales and then monitor their weight, perhaps every week, when you swap them over. You dont really want the buns who are going for the spay to lose any weight as they need to be as strong as possible for their op :)

When I changed mine from excel to science sellective, they both plumeted in weight.

Oh, and a good trick to keep the hay eating going...... a fresh hanful whenever you remember always seems to motivate mine.... apparently, hay is at its best when freshly from the bag or box! :lol::lol::lol:

Also, if you do decide to do this, I would get some bunny-friendly weighing scales and then monitor their weight, perhaps every week, when you swap them over. You dont really want the buns who are going for the spay to lose any weight as they need to be as strong as possible for their op :)

When I changed mine from excel to science sellective, they both plumeted in weight.

Oh, and a good trick to keep the hay eating going...... a fresh hanful whenever you remember always seems to motivate mine.... apparently, hay is at its best when freshly from the bag or box! :lol::lol::lol:

I think it's probably different for house bunnies as you have to provide all of their food. In the summer my garden provides a good portion of what mine eat so don't feel that pellets are necessary. A small handful in the winter for and extra few calories and nutrients are good though just in case.

Since we stopped the pellets and our's were on SS, we have had less dirty bottoms, most of them are a proper weight now and we make the vitamin loss up in fresh greens and herbs.

Since we stopped the pellets and our's were on SS, we have had less dirty bottoms, most of them are a proper weight now and we make the vitamin loss up in fresh greens and herbs.

That's exactly why I cut out pellets. I only re-introduced them this winter when my old girl looked like she could do with a bit of extra help to get her through the cold months. I am always concerned about teeth issues if they are filling up on pellets.

The only vitamin needed from pellets is for housebuns who don't go out for an hour a day - Vit D3.(It's needed to make strong bones) If your bun goes out for an hour or more they don't need pellets if they have a variety of feed found in a good hay.
If you want to make further savings you can grow your own herbs (for bun & family) or gather wild plants, as good as veg, - also dry them yourself for winter.;)
It's actually healthier for your bunny.:)

The only vitamin needed from pellets is for housebuns who don't go out for an hour a day - Vit D3.(It's needed to make strong bones) If your bun goes out for an hour or more they don't need pellets if they have a variety of feed found in a good hay.
If you want to make further savings you can grow your own herbs (for bun & family) or gather wild plants, as good as veg, - also dry them yourself for winter.;)
Thank you Judy as always great advice. Do you have or do you know where to look for a list of natural foods? My lot get hawthorn and bramble also dandelions and plantain when available but other suggestions gratefully received

I have seen my buns lose condition cutting pellets as recommended on RU, I'd be very careful- monitor weight from the off and then decide. Some buns can't tolerate a diet like that especially buns that refuse hay- if your buns are good hay eaters you may be okay. Remember to vary the veggies well, lots of herbs etc. Again if you notice your bun losing condition- ween the pellets back in. Only do it very gradually so not to effect digestion.

Interesting, thank you Judy. So in summer when outside for a portion of the day they wouldn't need pellets. I assume it's not available in anything other than sunlight and pellets?

Back