• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you give a medicine to a bun with a syringe?

whitehood

Warren Veteran
I don't need to feed them medicine.
But last time Lucky and Jack had a fight they were injured and were given aesthetics which I had to feed them 2 times a day with a 'syringe'.
I was instructed to put the syringe from the side of their mouths.
But it was difficult sometimes I used to miss sometimes I succeeded.
For future references is their an easier way to feed them liquid aesthetics#???

I always do it on a little bit of bread. It soaks it up nicely and they can't resist it. Other people put medicines in between dandelion leaves and other foods. Much easier. :)

I prefer the bread way, I also tried to mix it in their water, but then it would be a waste as they wouldn't drink all of the water in one day.

bread works for me too short term :D

when i had to give lots of meds by syringe daily it was a case of grab the bun and get it in the mouth sadly :( treats to say sorry usually mean forgiveness too :love:

I normally mash banana and put some on the end of a syringe. I let them lick it off a few times then give the meds while they are licking it off. I then give them a little more so they'll take the syringe the next time. It means I don't even need to pick them up to give them anything which was great when my girl was spayed and I didn't want to have a fight with her!

When I've had to give meds, I've usually mixed it with an equal amount of apple juice and luckily Jeff will just drink it from the syringe with no fuss.
Might be worth a try?

Some meds mine will take orally without a fuss. Mischa loves metacam.

Others I mix with apple juice or with mashed banana or on a bit of bread. I tend to mix it up so that it's not always bread, or not always banana.

When I've had to give meds, I've usually mixed it with an equal amount of apple juice and luckily Jeff will just drink it from the syringe with no fuss.
Might be worth a try?

When I do Baytril with apple juice I seem to have to use a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio. If I do half and half Mischa refuses. :roll: I think he just wants more apple juice really. :lol:

Back