• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh I don't want to be a bunny vet any more!

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
They are just so neglected and misunderstood. Its just too heartbreaking :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Had a 18 month old buck in at the hospital today: fairly skinny, huge abscess/cellulitis/oedema under his chin (like giant hamster cheeks that run underneath as well), weeping eyes both sides, hooching with fleas, skin a carpet of flea dirt, nails about 3-4 times normal length and molars so crooked they are all digging into his cheeks. How he is still eating I don't know.

Not sure what inspired the owners to bring him in, he's fairly clean underneath but I don't think he's ever really been out of his hutch. Thankfully they have enough guilt to pay for his treatment, but I think he may be going to heaven by tomorrow :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I am glad I'm not a vet just yet, I haven't learnt how not to shout at such people.

That's horrible :(. This is exactly why I would want to be a vet/vet nurse so you can tell people what they are doing wrong and how to put it right. There are so many old fashioned views surrounding rabbit care it's amazing how some people's opinions can change when they see rabbits kept how they should be. It's rubbish that this little one won't have a chance though :(

Giving basic care to keep rabbits without health issues healthy isn't rocket science so it baffles me how people can get it so wrong.

OMG thats just heartbreaking. Sounds like you really kept it together not to shout but I wonder how people like vets and the RSPCA do it. I don't think I could. That poor little bunny. He might make it as it sounds like he really has the fighting spirit to live considering everything he has endured up to now. Sending healing vibes xx

((((hugs))))) to you. YOu will make a wonderful bunny vet as you care so much. x

Must be horrible to see the way some poor buns are neglected :cry: I still feel sad seeing some of the lovely bunnies in rescue through no fault of their own, although at least they are being given a second chance.

At least there are people like you who care, understands and wants to do something to help. Please dont think about giving up - we need more vets like yourself committed to rabbits needs.

Sending you vibes for the poor bun and hope you feel better soon xxx

Poor bun...and poor you having to see him in such a state....but at least you have the chance to ease his misery. Such a difficult job you have, but such a worthwhile and vital one too.....hang in there....think of all the ones you can help and whose lives you can turn around.
I hope the little guy does make it....sending lots of vibes.

I personally couldn't keep my cool. I really respect people who talk to these owners without thumping them! Thank goodness people like you are there to look after the wee souls who have been so badly neglected.

:cry::cry: I dont know how vets stay calm with these sort of owners. Our vet was telling me today about a bunny he had him in for a dentla who is at least double its ideal weight :cry:

On the plus, you will make a brilliant vet Vikki (especially in the Staffordshire area) ;) x

Thanks for the support guys, much needed. I did have a good rant in the prep room where the owners couldn't hear. Think the nurses thought I had lost it a bit, I am only a student after all!

The only way I can help myself from getting cross is to remind myself that if i shout at them they make take the rabbit away without treatment. If I can keep them on-side enough to at least get the rabbit admitted, there is a chance something can be done. I have met a few vets who are excellent at making it very clear that the animal has been very badly neglected and it is unacceptable, without getting a negative reaction from the owner.

He's had lots of painkillers, antibiotics, a dental, tear duct flush, flea treatment and a comb through to get rid of the flea dirt, some good grub and a warm blanket to sit on now. Head x-rays tomorrow to see the extent of the damage. I gave him a lot of nose rubs, which he really loved (couldnt cuddle him because of the fleas!) so even if he doesn't make it, at least he had some time of comfort and love.

I work as a vet receptionist/ handler and went on a course. I remember being told something that stuck in my mind.-
It was that we all like nice owners and spend time on them, we dismiss those who are less caring towards their animals, but in fact these are the ones we should spend time on- because we want then to feel comfortable enough to come back.
Our vets often are stressed about animals who come in, often they are happy to PTS to remove the pain from the animal. I am fully confident that what they do is important and they often offer rehomeif the animal is a viable option.
Sadly I do believe many people have no idea that their animal is ill and feel awful when they realise. I hope the bun comes through and his owners learn a lesson.

My heart goes out to him.Let him be ok, educate the ******* and pray all will be well.
Big hugs to you Vikki.Massive respect.xxxxx

I have met a few vets who are excellent at making it very clear that the animal has been very badly neglected and it is unacceptable, without getting a negative reaction from the owner.

i hope you manage to find a way to do this, i got told off for leaving Alvin too long before getting his claws clipped when i first got him and i now dread the claw clipping at the vets so of course i put it off as long as i can risking getting shouted at again, but its a real fear in the pit of my tummy everytime we go slightly over the 3 month mark..

i wasnt cruel and neglecting but hes got a curly claw that makes it look like i was :(

you need a gold star....id have caved:oops:

still at least hes having a chance and attention,

dont give up......we need more bunny vvets......and youre invaluable xx

Back