• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Basic Idea of Food for Dwarf Lops

Jenniec19

New Kit
Hi there,

After reading numerous books, websites and the various threads on here I'm still not sure how much food I should be giving my new bunnies!

I got two dwarf lops a week ago, they are two years old and slightly overweight.
I would just like to clearly know how much food is a good amount for them. They have plain pellets, a company called fab (where can I purchase more? Haven't seen this brand about and is that particular brand any good?) but they are getting through two bowlfuls a day between them. I've been careful with their veg because of not knowing what they previously ate but they have been having a small amounts of carrot, cabbage, spinach and apple.
I'm hoping once I make the garden safe they can run around there all day and burn some of it off!

But what is the correct amount for dwarf lops? A little guidance would help me lots! Thank you:p

Their diet needs to be roughly 80-90% hay. Are yours having hay?

Pellet wise, they need roughly one eggcup full, each, a day, so consideribly less than you are feeding, so I would suggest gradually reducing their pellets down.

work towards an eggcup full a day and make sure they are getting plenty of hay (should be 80% of their diet). :)

Can you give us the weight of your rabbits? Even rabbits of a recognised breed tend to vary a bit.

I agree an egg cup is probably about right and once they reach their ideal weight you can adjust that if necessary. If they aren't currently eating hay, I would reduce the pellets over a week or two, allowing you to monitor and ensure that they do increase their hay intake to balance out the pellet reduction. Some rabbits can be fssy about hay if they aren't used to it.

What your doing with the veg is just right, you can gradually increase variety and quantity as the get used to it.

I haven't heard of that pellet brand, Excel and Supreme are the widest used pellet brands. I prefer Supreme but there isn't much in it.

Hi guys,

Wowsers I really am overfeeding them! Well, they were eating a good amount of hay (not up to 80% though) when they arrived but that has decreased a lot. So am thinking because I may have increased their pellet amount to more than their previous owner, this maybe why. Will gradually decrease their pellets everyday and give them plenty of hay. Also began using a hayrack but this has also reduced their consumption, maybe because they aren't used to one.Thought they were good for keeping it out of their bedding etc, is it worth carrying on with it to see whether they will get used to it?
Glad I am getting the veggies right, have just given them a little broccoli, they love it!
The good thing is they are getting through plenty of water, at least two bottles a day.
Haven't managed to weigh them, but will give that ago tommorow if I can and see what you think.
Thanks guys :)

I think a lot of it is trial and error!

Louie has no pellets, hay and grass and herbs twice a day. He also has apple twigs and dried herbs.

So glad that I read this thread, we too have been feeding ours at least two bowls full a day plus hay and treats (We have only had them since Sunday so I don;t think we have done too much harm)

I will cut their pellets down and increase the hay, thanks everyone:D

Yes I would definatley decrease the pellets - no need to do it too gradually in my opinion so long as they are used to eating some hay too. When they are less full of pellets they will spend more time munching hay :D

Our buns enjoy fresh herbs, coriander, parsley, basil, mint as well as rocket and celery (sliced so they don't choke on the stringy bits) as well as a little green pepper. They love Lemon Balm in the summer which I grow in the garden. Of course introduce any new foods of any kind gradually.

I use Science Selective Pellets - you can often get these at your vets or ask at your local pet shop. I use Kennelgate Pet Supermarket for mine. I would avoid Burgess Excell pellets as may people find these make the buns have soft stools. Swap very gradually to any new pellet. You can feed the pellets from a treat ball to make them last longer or scatter them in the hay tray to encourage foraging.

Back