• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to slim a chubby bun

pepperpot

Warren Scout
Ok.......so after losing my last bun to a fox :evil: in a couple of weeks....when I have everything in place....I am going to adopt a bunny whose owner can no longer care for her.
So far, I've only seen photos but looking at those and hearing what her owner has said, I think bunny is rather overweight.

how do I go about slimming her down? She's not been spayed and I plan to get that done asap, but think it may be a good idea to lose a little before putting her through the op.

All advice very welcome.

Thanks

So sorry to hear about your lovely bunny, foxes are a constant concern to me, goodness knows how your feeling!
Lovely you are taking on another, I have just taken on two bunnies, dwarf lops and they have been so well looked after that they are overweight. So I'm in the same situation as you! I plan to chicken wire my gate so that I can let mine out in the garden to run some of the weight off, but they get through two bowlfuls of pellets a day! Not to mention the amount of veggies they eat, whats the best thing to cut down? Can anyone help us!
x

It needs to be done gradually. What does she have to eat on a typical day at the mo?

Ideally her diet should be mostly hay with a small amount of veg and maybe half a handful of pellets depending on her size

It needs to be done gradually. What does she have to eat on a typical day at the mo?

Ideally her diet should be mostly hay with a small amount of veg and maybe half a handful of pellets depending on her size

^This. And also, lots of exercise, and no sugary foods. Also, make her work for her pellets and fresh, like by hiding it, using a treat ball, things like that.

I would suggest holding off on the spay (if at all possible) until she is a healthy weight.

Also, make sure you quarantine her away from any rabbits you have.

Back