• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you screen for cancer in bunnies?

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
A 'friend' of mine who refuses to neuter/spay bunnies (because its un-natural :roll:) said she gets her bunny screened for uterine cancer at her yearly check up. I never knew this was possible. I mean, I know I have a very small vet with not a lot on offer,

Has anyone heard of this? Or is it just an excuse?

I suppose they could mean an ultrasound of the abdomen? I've heard of it being done, but I'm not sure how much it would cost or how reliable it is.

Even if that was possible (which I have no knowledge that it is, although you can scan to identify a tumour, I believe), once a year is not enough at all. it would need to be far more regularly if there was say an effective blood test, because the changes, the tumours and spreading can happen quicker than over a year (well, to be fair, i have no concrete knowledge of that, that's just my belief).

I suppose they could mean an ultrasound of the abdomen? I've heard of it being done, but I'm not sure how much it would cost or how reliable it is.

I'm not entirely sure...I guess it could be that. She says she would have her spayed if they found anything.

Seems a lot of bother when she could just have her spayed :? and couldn't the cancer appear and kill in less than a year anyway?

I dont know about this...but I would be tempted to ring the vets and ask their procedure on rabbit care & if they would rec. spaying/neutering rabbits...they should generally..if not ask why ....you dont have to give a name but you could jog them into action in giving better advice perhaps....:)

I'm not entirely sure...I guess it could be that. She says she would have her spayed if they found anything.

Seems a lot of bother when she could just have her spayed :? and couldn't the cancer appear and kill in less than a year anyway?

How stupid. I recently adopted a bun that was spayed at the rescue. When she was spayed they found a lump on her uterus. I took the risk and adopted her as I want to give her the best life possible in whatever time she has left. They may have caught it in time but equally it may have spread. Neither I nor the rescue had control over this as she was spayed at the first opportunity.

I don't undertand why someone would rely on the fact that they may be able to detect a tumour in time before it spreads. Why risk it when you know the statistics of the liklihood of a tumour occurring. If the risk was of getting cancer was similar to the risk of dying under anaesthitic then fair enough, but it's not.

Back