• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please, bunny rolling in pain/ update pg37

rabbitapril

Mama Doe
My new bunny was lying upside down, i thought he was dead, I touched him and he leapt away then threw hiself to the ground again and rolled.
He keeps jumping up and running about as if trying to escape the pain.
An hour ago I gave him 1ml of infacol and 1ml of metacam but he is still uncomfortable.
What else will the vet do for him, or should I wait a bit longer for the medication to work.
I am panicing, what does he need to make him better?

Last edited:
My new bunny was lying upside down, i thought he was dead, I touched him and he leapt away then threw hiself to the ground again and rolled.
He keeps jumping up and running about as if trying to escape the pain.
An hour ago I gave him 1ml of infacol and 1ml of metacam but he is still uncomfortable.
What else will the vet do for him, or should I wait a bit longer for the medication to work.
I am panicing, what does he need to make him better?

i dont really know what to say i just didnt want to read and run...i hope someone comes soon that knows what to do...it doesnt sound right

I'm going to be blunt, please get your rabbit to a vet asap.

That does not sound good in any way shape or form.

Eek, Id say he needs to see a vet NOW!

Is it like he is rolling over because he is losing his balance ie. that he is doing it involuntarily, or do you think he is doing it deliberately?? :?

I would take my bun to the vet if s/he was like this. Maybe the pain relief needs to be increased or isn't working for some reason.

Sending vibes xxxx

I agree, your bun needs a vet NOW. It could be EC, or an ear infection. If it is down to pain, the cause of the pain needs to be found and treated asap.

Hi April it could be a number of things that are making him roll like this I think I would take him to the vets, and if you did how did you go on, hope everything is ok :(

So sorry to here your new bun is in pain :( this could be a number of things including EC, ear infection etc, but whatever it is he really does need to see a vet urgently as it needs to be treated as soon as possible for the best possible outcome and effective treatment before it becomes worse, this will not get better on its own, i hope you get on ok please let us know xxx

Yeah, vets now. Get bunny admitted if you can for them to take constant watch.
Mable acted like this just before she died... She seemed to go blind too as if she had a stroke or something as she basically lost control of her body

I tried to post earlier but forum didnt seem to be working for me.
Fletcher was showing no sign of recovery and i found him again, lying half on his back with his hind legs pushed out stright and quivering.
He has been to the vet, she reckons its stasis from the stress of new home and diet.
He had 60mls of warm fluid, a vetergesic injection, and zantac. I have had to bring him into the house to keep him warm as his temp was a bit low.
I wasnt keen to seperate him from his companion but i need to check if he poos.
He seems more comfortable now and sitting in a normal position not showing the terrible signs of pain that he was.
I just want him to be well again, after spending so long waiting for a home i want to see him enjoying his new life.

Just wishing your little bunny well and sending healing vibes. Could you put his partner near him? It might help if they could see and smell each other at least. :love:

What else can i do for him?
I feel so useless, if he was still at the rescue he would probably still be perfectly well snuggled into his wifey. I feel i rotten.
What dosnt help is, that he dosnt realy know me yet, so i feel i am a scary monster to him rather than something he is familiar with and trusts:(

What else can i do for him?
I feel so useless, if he was still at the rescue he would probably still be perfectly well snuggled into his wifey. I feel i rotten.
What dosnt help is, that he dosnt realy know me yet, so i feel i am a scary monster to him rather than something he is familiar with and trusts:(

The throwing himself on his side and quivering sounds like he had a tummy full of painful gas. Hopefully the vet able to rule out an obstruction/bloat.

Don't feel bad, this could easily have happened at the rescue and you've done the right things- taken him to the vet and given him the meds he needs.

Now you need to keep him warm (a heatpad e.g. snugglesafe may help) and keep offering fluids and tempting foods. Would you be able to bring his companion indoors in a seperate cage so he can still see and smell her? this will be comforting for him xx

fletcher is no better. I syringed him 15ml of tepid water, i dont know what else i can do untill he is due his next dose of zantak.
I dont know if i have done the right thing but i have brought Flora, his wifey in to be with him. The cage is not very big but it was that or nothing.
I hope it dosnt stress her out and cause her to be poorly aswell.
I dont think i will need to sort out whos poos are whos, Fletcher is still in pain and i dont feel he will survive this.
I am gutted.
My days of rescuing bunnies are over, i cant cope with the stress and heart break:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Oh dear. I am so sorry Fletcher is poorly.

Keep him warm, keep him moving if you can, offer regular tempting bits of food - fresh herbs are popular, also rocket, grass, grated apple, shredded cabbage, mashed banana, provide him somewhere quiet he can feel safe, give his meds as the vet indicated, provide a bowl of water.

Don't give up home - it does take a while for them to come through. I took my Maisy to the emergency vet one evening after she had been in stassis all day (she'd been seen and medicated in the morning) she deteriorated in the late evening - lying down, rushing round, lying down, then liquid poop just ran from her like a river. I kissed her as I left her with the vet fully believing it was the last time I'd see her alive - I was so suprised in the morning when they called to say she'd had more fluids, painkillers etc and had eaten everything laid before her and pooped normally, she was ready to come home :shock:

Everything crossed for your bunny.

Back