• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

splitting pairs? Rescue question

winnies angel

Mama Doe
If you took in 2 bunnies that are of the same sex would you split them straight away or if they had been living together for a year would you keep them together unless they fought or still not take the risk?

We spotted a lovely lil girl bun looking for a home as her family are emigrating and she cant go but shes advertised with another female bunny and I dont want to be the horrible person to split up friends.
Would you rehome together or split them straight away?

If you took in 2 bunnies that are of the same sex would you split them straight away or if they had been living together for a year would you keep them together unless they fought or still not take the risk?

We spotted a lovely lil girl bun looking for a home as her family are emigrating and she cant go but shes advertised with another female bunny and I dont want to be the horrible person to split up friends.
Would you rehome together or split them straight away?

We never split pairs unless they are fighting. We have male pairs and female pairs - infact once we had a pair of 5 year old males who weren't neutered and they stayed together (we got them neutered).

We don't agree with splitting bonded pairs.

If they are long term friends and girls I'd probably keep them together. Could you get them spayed fairly soon?

In the situation you have described, I would not separate them assuming that they are properly bonded. I think it would be most unkind to separate friends. Even if the one you took gets rebonded, what about the other one? One minute, happily living her life with her friend, the next minute it has not only moved house, but has lost her friend too :(

I would only split a bonded pair if they were fighting or it became obvious that the pair wasn't happy together. Most rescues would take the same approach although I do know of a few who do separate same sex pairs - but I guess the difference is that they know that they will rehome them both with a partner of the opposite sex, hopefully sooner rather than later. Whereas in your situation, the future of the other bun would be very uncertain and she could end up a very lonely, unhappy little lass :(

I wont metion which rescue it is but thats what I felt. I dont want this little girl to be seperated from her friend and I certainly dont want the other to think she isnt good enough. Then if the girl we took didn't get along with Jack and went back when she could have been with her friend. :(
I even said in my first email that it said they were a pair in a foster home but then I was told she isnt a pair and they dont receive her untill sat? confusing. But if Im interested in her then shell get her neutered straight away this week.
I dont want to mess the bunny or rescue about but I'm not wanting to be the one to break up friends unless there was a problem.Poor bunnies

We never split pairs unless they are fighting. We have male pairs and female pairs - infact once we had a pair of 5 year old males who weren't neutered and they stayed together (we got them neutered).

This.

As neither Reuben and Razzle (brothers) had no interest in them 4 weeks after coming here, they were kept together and will be rehomed together.

You have to think what is best for the rabbits, not for rehoming.

This.

As neither Reuben and Razzle (brothers) had no interest in them 4 weeks after coming here, they were kept together and will be rehomed together.

You have to think what is best for the rabbits, not for rehoming.

:?
not quite getting it so if someone showed interest in one bun and not the other you think its ok to split, is that what you meant but because no-one did you kept them together.

It wasn't having a go at anyone just interested in how others work and obv at end of day the buns are whats important. But I would always be thinking about frined if we took one and not the other, ahhh

They came in as a litter of babies.
One had interest straight away, and the other two didn't and developed their own bond, so I kept them together and sent them in for castration together.

Totally agree and that's how we work, we never, ever split a bonded pair, I know of rescues that do it and I think it's totally cruel

It depends on the pair. If they've been living together for a while and show proper signs of bonding like mutual grooming and snuggling up together, then I would not separate a pair, even if it meant they had to wait for a new home for longer.
I've had a pair of sisters before, and also a mother with two daughters, and they were just about tolerating each other, and one was a lot more dominant than the other(s). Plus the trio were quite scared and nervous, so in that case it sometimes helps to split them up and find a calm and confident partner for each of them.

We have only split pairs that have had a major falling out or if one is bullying the other..but otherwise no we don't..agree it would be cruel

We were only meant to have 2 then along came Jack which we hoped would go with win and angel but doubt they ever will. Now we feel sorry for jack but not sure I can cope with another bun lil terrors, we agreed if we got jack a friend then we would let him pick his own partner like win did but then we spotted another dutch so asked rescue if he could go and meet her but they dont believe in that its for the owner to choose and any bunny will be bonded together (I dont agree with this) so we have house inspection after she said that dutch was by themself but now I have found that she has came in to there care with a friend because the owners are emigrating (prob just an excuse but never know) so because I have shown interest they have her booked in to be neutered (spayed to you and me) and then if we are good enough she can come and see how she gets on.

I hate the idea that one will be left behind though and I would not ever spilt a friend unless they have already done it.

We have only split pairs that have had a major falling out or if one is bullying the other..but otherwise no we don't..agree it would be cruel

same here ..

we will split babies if we have to but never rabbits that have been together for a long time ...unless they fall out .

My local RSPCA now only split if it is best for the rabbits involved (such as bullying, fighting).

Back