• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many of you with bonded pairs/groups did the bonding yourselves?

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I'm just wondering what proportion of bunnies were sent away for bonding/bonded by their owners.

I know the best way is for the bunny to choose his/her own companion but in cases where someone already owns the two or more rabbits I'm interested to know any stories of 'first time I bonded.... ' etc.

Please share to give me courage/inspiration as I've now had two failed attempts at bonding two pairs of bunnies and I don't know if my stress of the situation could be a big factor :(

Oh and while I've tried the bonding myself with Artie/Esme and Elijah/Erin I booked Tink and Roo in at Bunny Camp for bonding and the week before this Tink escaped and paid Roo a little prenuptial visit and they did fine on unneutral territory :roll:

I bonded my four :wave: With some help from Santa...another pair on hands is pretty essential with more than a pair. Took a while but we got there. It is much harder with your own buns, I kept say "if someone had posted this on RU I would say it all sounds normal, keep going" it is very easy to get over protective with your own and give up too soon.

My girls are sisters but I added Eli later. I was very lucky that it went smoothly.

If you're struggling you could ask someone to come and help you? I agree with what louise and gus said about trying to look at it from an outside perspective. resist the urge to interrupt unless you know it's the right thing for the bonding.

:wave: Thank you both. I feel such a wuss I've now bottled out twice. I think I just can't bear the idea of them being injured that it just clouds my judgement. I've done loads of reading of what's expected/normal but the slightest scuffle and I panic :oops::oops:

I think getting someone with more stamina to help would be the best route forward. I'd really like to have the courage to bond because I want to help with this kind of thing but it's so flipping scary :shock: It really does look like my stressing won't do them any good as it could affect the bonding :?

:wave: Thank you both. I feel such a wuss I've now bottled out twice. I think I just can't bear the idea of them being injured that it just clouds my judgement. I've done loads of reading of what's expected/normal but the slightest scuffle and I panic :oops::oops:

I think getting someone with more stamina to help would be the best route forward. I'd really like to have the courage to bond because I want to help with this kind of thing but it's so flipping scary :shock: It really does look like my stressing won't do them any good as it could affect the bonding :?

Having some one with you is really the best idea give you someone to keep things in perspective, and make tea :)

I would never dare, I'm a massive wuss :lol: Luckily I have a neighbour who is a rabbit bonding genius and she does it for me :)

I wonder if you have a friend with bonding experience who could stay at yours for a bit and help out, i.e. interpret the signs of whether it's going well/badly. Or could you go to a rescue and watch them bonding rabbits there to get a feel for how things *should* go?

good luck anyway :wave:

This might be a rubbish idea but you could ask to sit in on other bondings to get some experience and confidence?
I'm sure nobody's going to complain about an extra pair of hands and someone to chat to during bonding - lets face it, it can be bloody boring! :)

I do my own bonding. I actually enjoy doing it. It's nerve racking as... But I love doing it knowing the result will be down to me :love:
Best thing is to try and stay calm! I sat with them and watched them liek a hawk, and talked to them so they knew I was there.
Gave them a pile of hay and food, but had them in a smaller cage so that they had to see each other.

Mine had a pretty much instant bond though, VERY easy

I bonded Ogs and Dell myself although had alot of people on webcam (from ru) to help me through it and tell me everything was normal :lol:

I would never dare, I'm a massive wuss :lol:

Thank goodness at least I've found one more wuss :D :lol::lol:

Yeah, I really thought re-bonding the brothers was enough to give me the courage but obviously not :? I was worried about sending Elijah away as he got really stressed in October resulting in stasis so I don't want to cause more stress than necessary.

I think I need some back up.

I've always done my own bonding. In the last year I have bonded George and Gemma and Furby and Faye and am just bonding Sue with Dylan, Molly and Munchkin. I do find it stressful and I don't stay with them 24/7. Living alone and having two jobs, it just isn't possible, although I did sleep on the settee for the first night while bonding Sue.

I would have really appreciated having someone to help me - it does get boring:( I do find it difficult watching them chase and hump and scuffle, but I force myself to sit back and just let them sort it out for themselves. Obviously, if things got nasty I would intervene.

I think I would worry more if I took mine to be bonded by someone else. George and Gemma were my most difficult bond. George got covered in scabs and I felt really guilty:( They adore each other now though.

Although I find it nerve wracking and stressful, the rewards are fantastic and the first time they snuggle or groom each other almost has me in tears. I find bunny love amazing:love:

I'd be happy to help anyone bond their buns - but sadly I live too far from you, Bunny Buddy.

I did my two, but I was very lucky they were so easy! That's my first and only experience of bonding so far, so I'm afraid I don't have any tips :(
Good luck!

I did my two pairs myself and really did just plonk them in together and leave them to it... but I was lucky *phew*

Now I want to put those two pairs together, and I'm scared to do it...:shock:

I would never dare, I'm a massive wuss :lol: Luckily I have a neighbour who is a rabbit bonding genius and she does it for me :)

I wonder if you have a friend with bonding experience who could stay at yours for a bit and help out, i.e. interpret the signs of whether it's going well/badly. Or could you go to a rescue and watch them bonding rabbits there to get a feel for how things *should* go?

good luck anyway :wave:

East midlands??
who's your genius?? - I need that person to help me with my next bond! :lol:

I've always done my own bonding. In the last year I have bonded George and Gemma and Furby and Faye and am just bonding Sue with Dylan, Molly and Munchkin. I do find it stressful and I don't stay with them 24/7. Living alone and having two jobs, it just isn't possible, although I did sleep on the settee for the first night while bonding Sue.

I would have really appreciated having someone to help me - it does get boring:( I do find it difficult watching them chase and hump and scuffle, but I force myself to sit back and just let them sort it out for themselves. Obviously, if things got nasty I would intervene.

I think I would worry more if I took mine to be bonded by someone else. George and Gemma were my most difficult bond. George got covered in scabs and I felt really guilty:( They adore each other now though.

Although I find it nerve wracking and stressful, the rewards are fantastic and the first time they snuggle or groom each other almost has me in tears. I find bunny love amazing:love:

I'd be happy to help anyone bond their buns - but sadly I live too far from you, Bunny Buddy.

Yeah bonded bunny love is quite amazing. When I re-bonded Binky and Shadow last weekend when I stirred during the night and glanced across at them they were always snuggled or grooming - it was soo beautiful. It makes my heart skip seeing them together, same as it does with Tink and Roo.

If I lived closer I would offer to help, but I'd probably be more nervous than you! :oops: :lol:

Not quite the same but I had to re-bond Alfie and Bubbles after her spay - that was far worse than when they were bonded the first time round. :shock: Bubbles was so nervous and Alfie was a monster to her. :(

I agree with Lou though - it's much harder when it's your own bunnies.

Woodlouse bonded B C and D to start with and then they went back for A to be bonded with them.

A had to come indoor due to sore hocks so i bonded him with E. I also bonded F with B C and D

I all of my buns myself, even the two male/male pairings. Only ever had one that didn't go to plan and that was the first trio, but Bailey has sight probs so I expected him to be a little more awkward to bond. But I only ever take on a bun if I have room to keep it seperately if bonding doesn't go to plan. Always a good idea to have a back up plan.

I did B&G :wave:

But i had awesome MSN support from Sky-O and people on RU were helping me on my thread :)

Back