• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hock?

cloughie

Banned
Peb's hind paws are looking a bit scraggy these days...he does have fur covering it all but in some areas there is only a small amout of fur and the fuller areas of fur kihda brush over the lesser furry part to provide a better covering...if that makes sense!

I brushed his fur to one side and notice that on both feet there are lil red areas...they're not sores/ wounds but the skin does look quite raw....could it be sore hocks? is his skin just a lil sore from where there has been a loss of fur in this area? Took a few pics....they seem to show it ok...just wondering what I can do to help him...is there any sort of specific cream I could rub into the area?

Also is it normal that the heel of the paw has a lil lump there like it is the 'ball' of his paw?

Just a raw looking ball on one paw

IMG_0402.jpg

Normal

IMG_0403.jpg

bigger area on the other paw

IMG_0404.jpg

normal

IMG_0407.jpg

That looks like sore hocks to me :( I've read Sudocream is good for it, but wait for someone else more knowledgeable to come along and confirm that.

Poor boy.

Thankfully it doesn't seem to cause him pain...it does look nasty though. I have never used sudo cream before...wonder if it would cause problems as he would lick it when grooming. I have used Vaseline before for raw skin but can't see it working on feet...he'd permanently have megazorb stuck to him :lol:

Ohh Pierre has something very similar just not as sore :(

I haven't got any advice as I'm not hundred percent sure what to do either, as for me his fur is still there so I can't put cream there. Someone did suggest special cream, and to put some padding down on the floors to help prevent it.

Pebs has fur there too...can only see this read area when the fur is brushed and parted.

Perhaps it is normal :?

That is definitely the start of sore hocks.

I would not put any creams on it yet as that can sometimes cause more problems by flattening the remaining fur and thus affording even less protection.

Personally I would get him checked over by a Vet as sore hocks often develop as a secondary symptom of another problem that is effecting mobility.

What substrate is he kept on ?

That is definitely the start of sore hocks.

I would not put any creams on it yet as that can sometimes cause more problems by flattening the remaining fur and thus affording even less protection.

Personally I would get him checked over by a Vet as sore hocks often develop as a secondary symptom of another problem that is effecting mobility.

What substrate is he kept on ?

He was checked by a vet 2 weeks ago when he had his Myxi vacc...I queried about his paws then but 2 of the vets were certain that there was no other health problems. They advised to keep an eye on it...just thought that there would be a home remedy that could help it along :)

I'm pretty sure that the slight loss of fur is where the new buns is not really litter trained...she wee's in so many places and all 3 buns tread in it so their paws are soggy a lot of the time. The fur loss only started when the new bun came along.

Substrate? do you mean surface? :oops::lol: the playhouse is lino and has a few carpet mats in there..the run has various mats in there, a small conrete area, a lino area and a rubber matting area.

Hard surfaces and carpet can both contribute to sore hocks: carpet is surprisingly abrasive. Deep, soft hay is usually recommended to prevent sore hocks but of course some buns will insist on using it as a toilet. A good alternative is a layer of vetbed or similar covered with a cotton sheet or soft towel.

Other risk factors include overgrown claws, mobility problems, obesity etc so worth making sure none of these apply

Will change some of the mats on the run with a towelling or a sheet. The usual causes have been rules out so looks like it is because of the wee he often treads in

Back