• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Escapy bunnies

Rabbitfantothemax

Warren Scout
What do I do?
I have had my bunnies esscape and hop on to the other bunnies hutch
One of them nearly got lost behind our outside office
them nearly fall off the hutch 5 times
and lots else which doesnt all come to mind

What do you think is so wrong?
I really am worried.....

Secure them?

Also if they can escape things can get in! It works both ways.

Sounds to me like they're bored. Collar used to be a proper little hoodini and would appear three doors down - I bought him a girlfriend and occupied him with piles of food! :love:

Secure them?

Also if they can escape things can get in! It works both ways.

Sounds to me like they're bored. Collar used to be a proper little hoodini and would appear three doors down - I bought him a girlfriend and occupied him with piles of food! :love:

Thanks he does have a girlfreind and gets lots of food what do you actually suggest?

Do you know how your rabbit is managing to escape? Do you have good locks/bolts on the hutch doors?

If you post pics of the set-up they are escaping from it might be easier for us to see where they're escaping from..... :wave:

It is an issue to be concerned about because as has been said - if they can escape then they're not safe.

If you post pics of the set-up they are escaping from it might be easier for us to see where they're escaping from..... :wave:

It is an issue to be concerned about because as has been said - if they can escape then they're not safe.

I am sorry I can not add a pic at the mo how do you add a pic?
it is just a su=imple bolt lock but I think they are so clever they can open it

it is just a simple bolt lock but I think they are so clever they can open it

it is just a simple bolt lock but I think they are so clever they can open it

So they are opening the door? I assume you have one of those simple door catches that you turn to open? Those are really easy to open and people have lost bunnies to foxes this way sadly. I would swap it for one or preferably two proper sliding bolts (top and bottom) like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/33232...aight-Bolts/Straight-Bolt-38mm-Polished-Brass

or better still a hasp and staple like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11422/Security/Hasp-Staple/General-Security-Hasps/100mm-Hasp-Staple

so you can fit a padlock- I have yet to meet an animal that could open a padlock :)

So they are opening the door? I assume you have one of those simple door catches that you turn to open? Those are really easy to open and people have lost bunnies to foxes this way sadly. I would swap it for one or preferably two proper sliding bolts (top and bottom) like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/33232...aight-Bolts/Straight-Bolt-38mm-Polished-Brass

or better still a hasp and staple like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11422/Security/Hasp-Staple/General-Security-Hasps/100mm-Hasp-Staple

so you can fit a padlock- I have yet to meet an animal that could open a padlock :)

I have a slidy bolt which you slide down to open and up to close
Thankyou for the ideas i will look in to it!:wave:

I have a slidy bolt which you slide down to open and up to close

If the bolt slides down to open, they are probably rattling the bars until the bolt slips down. I'd get another bolt and put it pointing downwards at the bottom of the hutch as well, so that it is secured both top and bottom. This will also help to make it more secure from predators pushing on the outside of the hutch.

Is the hutch attached to a run? If not, attaching it to a run (securely!) might mean that they are more stimulated and spend less time rattling at the doors to be let out. Bunnies are very clever little critters and will try and find ways to escape if they are bored.

Good luck :)

If the bolt slides down to open, they are probably rattling the bars until the bolt slips down. I'd get another bolt and put it pointing downwards at the bottom of the hutch as well, so that it is secured both top and bottom. This will also help to make it more secure from predators pushing on the outside of the hutch.

Is the hutch attached to a run? If not, attaching it to a run (securely!) might mean that they are more stimulated and spend less time rattling at the doors to be let out. Bunnies are very clever little critters and will try and find ways to escape if they are bored.

Good luck :)

The hutch is attached to the run securely
thankyou I will tell my Mum!

Back