• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smoking indoors with rabbits?

skippersmom

Warren Scout
Hey all,

The other day i was hanging out with a friend of mine and she had to go over to her neighbours house to help the older lady out with some housework, i decided to go along and help too, when i got there, i noticed that the lady had three free range rabbits, all very well taken care of, however the lady was smoking cigarettes inside her house with the rabbits, and she was smoking like a chimney!

it got me thinking, what kind of affect can this have on your rabbits health? should i be warning my friend ?

The same affect on human's I'd assume. When people ask to smoke I send them to the front door so they don't get the smoke near my rabbits.

There's been enough publicity regarding the effects passive smoking on human health that you'd think she'd be aware that it would likely harm her pets too. :roll:

We don't smoke and we don't allow anyone to smoke inside our home if they want to smoke they have to go outside it's as simple as that.

of course i always go outside to smoke myself, and i know its not GOOD for them...

just wondering if anyones actually been spoken to by a vet or seen a bun develop serious issues because of it.

i feel bad for the buns, they have SO many toys its like the whole house is dedicated to her buns.... but she doesnt care about the smoking :? it makes no sense to me

They can get Respiratory Disease from passive smoking just as a child would.

They are exposing their Rabbits to a pathogen and thus endangering their Rabbit's life. They may aswell put the Rabbits in a room full of carbon monoxide.

This is something that concerns me too for ANY animal owners who smoke in the room they share with rabbits, cats, dogs and other critters. It's like people now know they shouldn't do that with babies or children (or other adults for that matter), so why is it different for animals??

It is an odd thing for your friend's friend to spoil her 'babies' so much, yet be poisoning them at the same time. The poor buns have no choice but to sit there and breathe it all in - yuk.

Is there any way your friend could perhaps pass on a little note from you perhaps, rather than it coming direct from her, just in case it causes neighbour issues for your friend?? perhaps something saying how lovely her buns were and well looked after etc, but that you were concerned enough to write to her that smoking around them is unfair and will harm their sensitive little lungs leading to potentially painful respiritory problems??

Something like this would just bug me so much I'd have to try to give some supportive action to the older lady somehow. On the other hand, she may tell you to keep your nose out, in which case I guess you've done your bit?

Just a thought. xx

thanks guys, i just needed a second opinion, i would never do it myself....

how am i going to get this old lady to stop :|

They can get Respiratory Disease from passive smoking just as a child would.

They are exposing their Rabbits to a pathogen and thus endangering their Rabbit's life. They may aswell put the Rabbits in a room full of carbon monoxide.

Exactly. That said there are so many health warnings and so much is known about the effects of smoking these says that I cant understand why anyone would do it

People do the same thing with children and babies too :shock:

Even if you go outside to smoke, the particles of cigaratte smoke can stay on your clothes for about half an hour, the smell stays around for a lot longer obviously.

So even if you go outside and come back in within 30 miuntes you are still exposing people and animals to second hand smoking.]
:shock:

When ever my friends come over i never used to bother if they wanted to smoke as long as it was in the kitchen, but since getting Bear it's a big no no... afterall a human can ask that no one smokes but a rabbit cant and i wouldnt subject Bear to that.

Back