• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timid rabbit + Penicillin injections...

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
So I was waiting to post this news as a bit of a suprise, but..........

I've been chatting with a rescue for 3 weeks now about adopting a female flemish giant cross named Harriet :love: She is sooo lovely, and no one has wanted to adopt her as she's a bit shy.

So a few days ago was her spay appointment date, so I sent the rescue an email checking up on her, and they've said while doing incision checks last night, they found that she is the only rabbit that they've EVER had that has ripped out all of their stitches (to the point where you can see organs inside).
Well, they rushed her back to the vets, put her back under, cleaned everything up, and now she's got a wee little cone on her head and needs to be on Pen G injections for 10-14 days :shock: She's feeling completely fine, and hasn't been phased by the ordeal in the least bit!

To be honest, I just gave a little chuckle when I read that email (after seeing that she is alright). OF COURSE it would be Harriet to cause all the fuss. Now I know she definitely belongs here :roll::lol::love:

The rescue has given me the option of waiting until her injections are up to come collect her, or I could go collect her in a few days as planned (as long as I can keep her quiet and keep up with the injections). I would love to get her out of the rescue ASAP, as my house is certainly less hectic then it is there.

Does anyone have experience with Pen G injections? Or a bunny that has to wear a cone? Is there anything I should know?

And would she need a re-checkup at the vets after her round of injections?

Leah xx

Last edited:
I personally would feel really unsure about giving a rabbit I don't know injections. I was bad enough with a rabbit I know well :oops:

Was it difficult? I don't have experience giving injections (just oral medication) with rabbits.
I have done injections in dogs and cats though.

First of all its great that you are adopting Harriet, she sounds fab.
I'd be tempted to have her stay at the rescue to complete her treatment.
Mainly because I think its easier for a bun to make a full recovery in a familiar environment.
Its also possible that if her 1st real experience with you includes injections then this may be a barrier to her bond/trust of you.

Whatever you decide I hope things go well with her :)

PS I have a Flemish who is a great bun, very friendly but quite a madam when it comes to any sort of cares, be it nail clipping, bum checks or whatever.
Once Ondine decides she doesn't want you messing with her she is a big girl to try & restrain in order to finish doing what needs doing.

Back